PDA

View Full Version : Van Dam Woodcraft

anravq
07-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Hello there, on the other side.
Anybody know anything abaout a company named Van Dam Woodcraft??
It´s locaded in Boyne City Michigan,
I wnt to know everyting about the city and the company, from your point of wiew.

//Pelle, Sweden

gcarter
07-30-2005, 08:01 PM
I think Van Dam has been building very fine custom WEST system wooden boats, usually runabouts, for at least 25 years.
You may have already found it, but here is their website;
http://www.vandamwoodcraft.com/
They're very highly regarded in the niche market they are in.
I can't tell you anything about the town.

gcarter
07-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Oh, by the way, welcome!

gold-n-rod
07-30-2005, 08:13 PM
They're very highly regarded in the niche market they are in.
I can't tell you anything about the town.

I agree with George about what I've heard about Van Dam. Boyne City is a small, northern Michigan town. Not a lot going manufacturing wise since their biggest employer (United Technology??) went south of the border for cheaper Mexican wages. Mostly tourists support the place these days..... but only 3 months a year. They do have a nice little micro brewery.

Are you thinking of working for them?

MOP
07-31-2005, 07:25 AM
I discovered their site a few years back and fell in love with the Alpha Z, win the lottery one would be mine.

Chili 18
07-31-2005, 10:18 AM
Boyne has several ski areas nearby. Boyne Mountain and Boyne Highlands come to mind. Not world class mountains, but among the best in the midwest. I've heard of the boats too. Friend Bob who as a younger man built his own sailboat and went around the world. Actually met the woman he would marry in Hawaii on his journey. Anyway... Bob knows boats! He spoke very highly of them...

Craig S
07-31-2005, 12:41 PM
I discovered their site a few years back and fell in love with the Alpha Z, win the lottery one would be mine.

I agree. I saw Alpha Z at the Lake Tahoe Concours a couple years ago. Quite a rig! Don't think I would want to put anti-fouling on it and keep it in salt water, but quite a rig...

anravq
07-31-2005, 03:01 PM
Oh, by the way, welcome!

Thank you.

anravq
07-31-2005, 03:06 PM
I agree with George about what I've heard about Van Dam. Boyne City is a small, northern Michigan town. Not a lot going manufacturing wise since their biggest employer (United Technology??) went south of the border for cheaper Mexican wages. Mostly tourists support the place these days..... but only 3 months a year. They do have a nice little micro brewery.

Are you thinking of working for them?

Yea, maybe, don´t know yet.
Would be nice to see how it is over there, maybe move ther because of the prices on boats, pew, have you seen the prices here.:shocking:

Ed Donnelly
07-31-2005, 07:12 PM
But look what you would be giving up. The most beautiful women in the world, with the cutest accents(maybe not to you,but I just LOVE the accents...........Ed

anravq
08-01-2005, 10:52 AM
But look what you would be giving up. The most beautiful women in the world, with the cutest accents(maybe not to you,but I just LOVE the accents...........Ed

Maybe they are the best looking in the world, but they know it, and most of them are hard to get...
I'm not moving for good.

Michael LeMay
08-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Boyne city is a very cool little town.Ten years ago I bought some lake view property on a bluff that looks down the length of Lake Charlevouix.the value today is worth 4 times what I paid because of the growing charm of this city.

Boyne city is located at the south end of Lake Charlevouix,and has Lake Michigan access at the north. Great boating with lots of year round activities.

Mike

Tomahawk
08-23-2005, 03:28 PM
I drive up there a couple times a year. We just spent two weeks in the area and, in fact, did a couple laps around the Van Dam facilties just to see it myself. They were working on some of their typical high quality, high end wood boats. I have always thought that this is one of the most beautiful places in this country - especially if you like boats and winter sports. If you have a chance to live there, you are a lucky person. Go for it.