PDA

View Full Version : Prop 14x21 LH Rot. Michigan Stainless $142.00

Craig
07-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Hi Fellow boat nuts - Thought I'd pass this on to anyone who thinks they could use a nice stainless 14 x 21 pitch prop that will fit many of the Volvo AQ drives (280, etc. BUT APPARENTLY NOT 270's).

First, here's the link to "Close out" on brand new 14x21 LH rotation Michigan Props at iboat.com (I think).

I was surprised to find these. I bought one. Haven't tried it yet. Hopefully it would be a good fit for some of you. Check all the info. carefully first. It's long hub, 17 spline, etc., etc.

http://www.boat-props.com/propellers/s/chart-97/brand_id-3/manufacturer-Volvo%20Penta/rotation-Counter/year-89/index.html

Craig
07-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Oh - one more thing. Don't go by the picture that pops up (which shows a black prop).

It is the shiny stainless variety.

My Dad once had a stainless prop for an outboard that was black because it was teflon coated.

The one offered here is "mirror shiny" like most stainless props.

picklefish
07-30-2005, 02:12 PM
The picture shown is of a RH prop. I don't know about Volvos but all Mercruisers are LH engines that take RH Props (rotates clockwise when moving forward when seen from behind the boat). LH props are only used on RH engines (the counter rotating engine in twins). Confusing, eh? I think that's right but if I've got it wrong, somebody please correct me.

Craig
07-31-2005, 07:26 AM
Actually I think most of these older 16 and 18 Donzi's that would have Volvo AQ drives (like 200's, 250's, 270's, 280's, etc.) are small block Fords (H&M) that are standard rotation "engines" (which is, I think, rotating right (as viewed from behind the boat), BUT the props are left hand rotation regardless on the old Volvo's (I think pre '94). Can swith the rotation, but best to keep a lefty on it.

As I mentioned above, the picture that pops up with the information on the link is just a generic picture of a black aluminum Michigan Prop.

The one they'll send you is a left hand stainless. Again, keep in mind the finer print says this prop will not fit a 270 for some reason.

Craig
07-31-2005, 07:55 AM
Actually, now that I glanced at some info. I have here, maybe that's left on the "engine" rotation for "standard", but the prop is defintiely a left hander.

One important thing about the left turning prop on the older Donzi's is the left side steering position of the boats. The driver's weight is on the left to counter the lift on that side of a LH rotation prop.

Switching to a right hand prop can apparently mess with that a bit.

Anyway, there's the link. I think they're a good deal as these are usually in the $450.00 - $500.00 range. Note the other stainless prop at the link - same basic prop, same application, slightly different size, but not the "close out" price. It's, I think, close to $500.00.

The 14x21 LH stainless is $142.00.