PDA

View Full Version : Foot Throttle or not

tmdog
07-29-2005, 06:52 PM
I have been an owner of two 18 Donzi C's and installed a foot throttle on both boats. I love them , it gives better attention to the steering with both hands and can decelerate in an instant without taking your hands off the wheel. One D was used in the IC and ocean and my present D is in fresh water lake. The mod is fairly inexpensive and easy. What do you think? Maybe we should take a poll?

MOP
07-29-2005, 10:34 PM
I had one on a boat a few years back, it was great except in rough water, I had it setup up to use either it or the handle. To help in rough water I added a block next to the peddle so I could steady my foot which helped quite a bit.

Phil

tmdog
07-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Even in rough water the foot throttle seems to secure a set speed. No jerking up or down on speed. I disconnect the throttle cable entirely off the gear handle. Throttle is entirely by foot. Will do again on my next boat.

smoothie
07-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Same here I like a foot throttle...I had one in my 68 16 donzi and have one now on my 20 cig,its a heel,toe type that arent that sensitive in the rough stuff and is a wonderful thing to be able to hold on with both hands and ease up on the gas when ya need to...ya got my vote.. btw most older 20 cigs have em for some reason,Ive dont know if they came from the factory this way or not and come to think of it Ive seen a lot of older 16 and 18 Donzi's with em too.

tmdog
07-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Using a handle to contol throttle to me is a safety issue. Can you imagine a throttle lever on a car ( providing you are not handicapped) what you would do in everyday traffic. A lever to me is like cruise control and not to be used in traffic. Boating anywhere is like driving in traffic all the time. The response to this thread is surprising considering the safety issue and convenience of a foot pedal. Let's hear it good or bad. Maybe the conversion is to complicated?

Greg Maier
07-31-2005, 08:04 PM
A foot throttle seems to make a lot of sense in a sit down type of boat like a classic. I certainly couldn't see a foot throttle in a bigger stand up boat like a Top Gun, but in a classic, they seem to make sense. The equipment used in classics usually trickles down from use in much larger boats. That could be a reason why we don't see them.

glashole
08-02-2005, 07:49 AM
did you put the trim on the steering wheel??

MOP
08-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Does anyone make a foot throttle that the mechanism is mounted under the floor so just the peddle shows? I hated the cable running across the floor.

Phil

Ed Donnelly
08-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Mop; Check out rexmar.com (rex marine) ..........Ed

blackhawk
08-02-2005, 11:40 AM
I can see how they would work well for calm water, but I can't see rough water usage at all. When I am running WFO in the slop I have my feet pushed down on the floor HARD for "bracing". No way I could use one in the rough. To me it would be more dangerous in the rough because you could accidentally hit it!

smoothie
08-02-2005, 04:53 PM
I can see how they would work well for calm water, but I can't see rough water usage at all. When I am running WFO in the slop I have my feet pushed down on the floor HARD for "bracing". No way I could use one in the rough. To me it would be more dangerous in the rough because you could accidentally hit it!

So why wouldnt ya still have both feet pushed HARD on the floor running WFO with a peddle :wink: and both hands on the wheel...like I said before there is a lot of throw in the peddle so ya dont nail it by accident.

smoothie
08-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Does anyone make a foot throttle that the mechanism is mounted under the floor so just the peddle shows? I hated the cable running across the floor.

Phil

Phil,look at my pic,,what cable running across the floor???

tmdog
08-02-2005, 06:20 PM
BH, You would be pleasantly surprised of the contol you would have in the slop. I've ran in salt and fresh in big slop and was able to react faster to throttle usage. You wouldn't believe the contol you have while keeping both hands on the wheel . Us guys with the low slung freeboard in the Classics have to remain in a seated position whether it is smooth or not versus the guys that can stand when the going gets rough in big vessels. I have a Hot foot and cable comes out of top of pedal and goes under dash and than along side to aft. I'll post pic tomorrow of pedal.

Formula Jr
08-02-2005, 07:09 PM
I've always used hand throttles, guess I'm too old to switch at this point. I'd instantly go to the handle with out thinking, at the times in which you don't have time to think.

Motorcycle, rotate handle
Car, use foot
Boat, use stick.
Women, use flowers........ :)

blackhawk
08-02-2005, 08:30 PM
So why wouldnt ya still have both feet pushed HARD on the floor running WFO with a peddle :wink: and both hands on the wheel...like I said before there is a lot of throw in the peddle so ya dont nail it by accident.

Cause when you're in the air you need to get out of the throttle! :D

Obviously it works cause you guys use them but when I start getting thrown around the boat I brace myself with my feet. And these are the exact same times I need to be in and out of the throttle. :yes:

BaldEagle
08-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Just got my 18 C. The foot throttle sounds interesting but noone answered the question about where they mounted the trim control.

Jeff

smoothie
08-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Just got my 18 C. The foot throttle sounds interesting but noone answered the question about where they mounted the trim control.

Jeff

Mine is mounted from the factory on the dash,left side of the steering wheel...take a look at the pic from my first reply.

tmdog
08-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Presently the trim control is still on the handle along with the gear shift. The only cable disconnected was the throttle cable and that can be done in the engine compartment. Her are are a few pics of the peddle and linkage at the carb.

Cuda
08-03-2005, 06:44 PM
I'm with Formula Jr here. I'm too old to teach a dog new tricks. I doubt I could get used to even a left handed throttle.

tmdog
08-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Cuda, Trust me you can get used to any change. Almost like women. I know you have a great Lady but!! Let me end it there.

tmdog
08-03-2005, 06:57 PM
I asked for opinions and I got them. Thanks to all that responded and those that wanted.

blackhawk
08-03-2005, 09:25 PM
My $.02 is foot throttles belong on flat bottom jet boats! :D

Just kidding, but I just can't see it working in the rough. Plus, you guys have foot throttles to have both hands on the wheel but yet have no trim control on the wheel? :confused:. So you still have to let go of the wheel to trim. So, now you're in the rough and you want to trim down and make a high speed turn and you have to let go of the wheel to try and "find" the trim on the dash while you're bouncing around. I just can't see it working. Just my opinion.

Moody Blu'
08-03-2005, 09:49 PM
when im in rough water i dont brace my feet to the foot pad im usually sitting upright with my knees bent so i can read the waves. in order to sit in the boat with your feet braced you loose distance visibility. I'm about 5'11"-6' I always have my seat back all the way, any closer and i feel cramped up. i have braced my feet before but in rough water I sit up right with my knees bent, one hand on the wheel and one on the gas.

come to think of it, MOST of you guys have it EASY!! you have power steering. I have no power steering and use one hand. driving with both hands is nice but like the old timers, im used to hand throttle, heck ive had my boat since i was 14 so i am a old timer....

blackhawk
08-03-2005, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=Moody Blu']when im in rough water i dont brace my feet to the foot pad im usually sitting upright with my knees bent so i can read the waves. in order to sit in the boat with your feet braced you loose distance visibility.QUOTE]

Broque, do you mean to brace your feet you need to sit lower in the seat so your legs reach the foot pad?

Moody Blu'
08-03-2005, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=Moody Blu']when im in rough water i dont brace my feet to the foot pad im usually sitting upright with my knees bent so i can read the waves. in order to sit in the boat with your feet braced you loose distance visibility.QUOTE]

Broque, do you mean to brace your feet you need to sit lower in the seat so your legs reach the foot pad?

a little bet yes, i was going to mention it but didnt. I feel bracing my feet on the foot board compromises my visibilty and more important my back. Like i said though if i move the seat forward at all i feel all cramped up.

I have tossed the idea around of a foot pedal I just have a feeling in rough water i would be stomping the gas down when hitting a big wave.

smoothie
08-04-2005, 06:17 AM
[QUOTE=blackhawk]

I have tossed the idea around of a foot pedal I just have a feeling in rough water i would be stomping the gas down when hitting a big wave.

I bet you would be letting off the pedal just before you hit the wave and then stomping it after,just think Moody you could hold both hands on the wheel to handle all of that torx steer ya have :biggrin.:

BlackHawk,,,If you come to The gathering at St.Clair on the 27th Ill let ya test drive and see for yourself :yes:

blackhawk
08-04-2005, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE=Moody Blu']

I bet you would be letting off the pedal just before you hit the wave and then stomping it after,just think Moody you could hold both hands on the wheel to handle all of that torx steer ya have :biggrin.:

BlackHawk,,,If you come to The gathering at St.Clair on the 27th Ill let ya test drive and see for yourself :yes:

Hey I am always willing try something new! Don't want to hijack this thread but I didn't see anything in the registry about a St. Clair gathering. Details please?

smoothie
08-04-2005, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=smoothie]

Hey I am always willing try something new! Don't want to hijack this thread but I didn't see anything in the registry about a St. Clair gathering. Details please?

Here ya be!
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40972