PDA

View Full Version : How BIG is your ..... pump ?

Lenny
07-29-2005, 06:35 PM
I am replacing my existing RULE pump with separate float switch with an all inclusive one. I was wondering if I should go with 1000 gph or 1500?

I am planning on some stuffings and swampings shortly :D

Actually, it has to "sleep" at a bouy for about the next 4 nights shortly and we have hourly action from large Ferries and such and I just know some are going to be flipped up over the bow and into the cockpit. Besides, the pump is currently broken, greasy and in poor condition.

It has power but does not work. I want to do this once.

Thanx :)

DonziDave
07-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Lenny - 1000 gph or 1500 gph sounds like overkill to me. The factory installed pump in my 18C is 500 gph. Two things to consider....if you are taking on 1000 gph, it's time to abandon ship, swim to shore, and hope your insurance check cleared....LOL. On a more practical note, the larger the pump, the higher the intake has to be above the bottom of the bilge in order to pump the rated volume. The intake will start to suck air before it drains the bilge. You will always have some water sloshing around in the bottom.

Dave

Cuda
07-29-2005, 08:47 PM
You can't have too big of a pump. You must consider how high it's pumping the water. Unless I'm mistaken, it's rated pumping it at level. Go big young man! :biggrin:

Lenny
07-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Thanx, yes CUDA the rating is at horizontal, the "up" to the transom hole takes away from that. Lowers the GPH. I will do the 1500. There was a RULE 1300 I just took out in there. (what a horrible job that was :mad: )

Thanx.

Dave, after seeing a blown inlet hose on Doug Lovins' C18 a couple of years ago, and the AMOUNT OF WATER that gets in there,... like NOW,.. it is obscene. I want a big pump as I am not too concerned about spray levels as opposed to "forgetting the plug" or blown hose levels.

:)

MOP
07-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Len I have two pumps a 750 on one battery and another 1500 on the other battery both have auto switches every boat I have owned I have set with two pumps. Some will laugh at that much pump, but over the years I have seen too many boats sink from rain or other unexpected reasons. In a bad rain our Donzi's manage to drain every drop into the bilge even with a cockpit cover the engine hatch does a great lob of filling the bilge. With the cockpit cover on I watched my pump go off every 3-4 minutes in a 1K rain storm it was sobering to say the least, after seeing that I am designing an over board drain setup for my 22 engine hatch.

Phil

Craig S
07-29-2005, 10:43 PM
The Rule 2000 is the same size, isn't it? And it is the largest in Rule's mid size platform. I run that baby in everything. I wish I had 2 in my Resorter. Keep a spare on the shelf. In the foam packing. And be sure and run the "super switch." The others - with cage and without - I have had problems with (they may not like diesel, dunno). btw, I use wirenuts and silicone the insides after attaching the pump to the float/wiring.

bigger IS better. Besides, do you want a little dribble coming out the side/transom, or a howitzer?

Donzigo
07-29-2005, 10:52 PM
I'd get a RULE 5000, if they made one.

Cuda
07-30-2005, 11:03 AM
I just had a new one installed in my Formula. It's not the type that lays in the bilge, it mounts on the side of the hull. It's a Jabsco I beleive. I don't know the gph, but it's healthy. I do know it cost me over $200, but that's still much cheaper than a sunken boat.

joseph m. hahnl
07-30-2005, 11:23 AM
i have a digital pump turns on every 2 1/2 minutes for 1 second. if there is'nt any water it shuts off. if there is it pumps it out. eliminates the need for a float switch. i have it wired to my rocker switch. so if i trailor it i can shut it off or when the boat is on dry land. it works excellent. and you don't have to worry about sticking float switches that kill the battery. but as far as how big is my pump." that's a little personal." all though i do like to think my girl friend brags about it.

joe

RickR
07-30-2005, 01:56 PM
Like MOP, I use 2 pumps in the 22, 1500GPH and 1100GPH.
Following Poodle's recommendation, pump #1 is wired to "ALL" on battery switch and pump #2 wired to battery #2.

For overnight mooring battery switch goes to #2.

BTW: A 1/2" Garboard drain plug hole will flow >500GPH :shocking:

smokediver
07-30-2005, 10:39 PM
I would go with the largest available . To figure out GPH you need to figure out the pressure at the discharge opening . The formula to figure out maximum flow is 29.7 times the diameter of the opening squared times the square root of the pressure . That formula is for GPM . just multiply that by 60 and you get GPH . I am thinking bilge pumps generate around 15 psi . So 29.7 times .25 equals about 7.4 . Times about 4 equals about 30 gpm or 1800 gph ... Assuming you have a half inch discharge and not taking into account friction loss .... did i mention i was brain washed with hydraulics in Ocala ?

Lenny
07-30-2005, 10:55 PM
Thanx all, I got my 1500 RULE running fine today after a LOT of bad words due to available working area. :mad:

This thing spits out water at such a rate that the locals kids come by and play in it :D

A single for now, better than none. :)

Richard McCoy
07-30-2005, 11:00 PM
The 22ZX comes with a 1200 GPH Attwood I added a 1500 GPH Rule about 8" above the factory pump than installed the 1 1/8"discharge on the other side of the boat.