PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using hydraulic steering on their 18?

txtaz
07-29-2005, 09:46 AM
I'm thinking of replacing my power assisted cable steering system with a hydraulic unit. I've looked at the Imco and Seastar systems. I'm just curious what others use and how they like them.
Thanks,
Wes

donzi182003
07-29-2005, 09:48 AM
Hynautic here. Not bad never had an issue.

Ed

MOP
07-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Wes go for it you will love it nothing but pluses, you will have no slop and hands off at speed also you will still have your power steering.

Phil

Marlin275
07-29-2005, 10:14 AM
I have the factory style hydraulic steering and it is fantastic!
No pulling in any direction and no play in unit.
Very secure, heavy duty sensation.

Sam
07-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Talk to Doug Lovins, he added it to his 18 a few years ago. Rootsy also did his 16 a year or so ago.

Sam

txtaz
07-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys.
Seastar or IMCO? There are benifits to both, one looks way cool and take pressure off the tiller, the other is hidden, Ideas?
Thanks,
Wes

Jraysray
07-29-2005, 10:31 AM
I enjoy it. Mine was was already on the boat when I purchased it. No effort at all to steer. I have a Latham set up.

txtaz
07-29-2005, 10:42 AM
Nice setup Scott. I just ordered a Latham catalog. BTW, are you going to make it to TR4?
Poodle, Do you have availablity for steering systems?
Wes

Rootsy
07-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Wes,

do you want to go full dual ram hydraulic helm? or are you looking to do an add-on system like doug and I and the 18 in the photo?

I have my own theory on add-on's and benefits that many don't agree with... but i will stick to my guns...

the steering was one of the best things i've done to my 16...

JR

Jraysray
07-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Nice setup Scott. I just ordered a Latham catalog. BTW, are you going to make it to TR4?
Poodle, Do you have availablity for steering systems?
Wes

I wish!!! I have been grounded for the next year. Wife is doing the weekend shift while going to school at MD Anderson for Radiation Therapy.

The upside to this is the next boat coming after my restriction is over. Pay now play later I guess. I will be all over the place after that!

txtaz
07-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Rootsy,
I would love to have a dual ram system polished or chromed. It would look way cool, but severe over kill. Also it give passengers something else to stand on when getting out, not a good thing in my book. That's why I was thinking the Seastar system would be just about right for my application. What is your theory about add ons?
Thanks, Wes

blackhawk
07-29-2005, 11:41 AM
I personally don't like add-on systems. The weak link is still the cable. And if you snap a ps belt at high speeds with an add on you will have very little control and will be putting a lot of stress on the cable!

Just my $.02

txtaz
07-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Personally, I would feel better with a hydraulic helm and getting rid on the cable. Then the only issue would be tiller pressure. I don't think that's a big problem at 70.
Scott, what are you calling an add on system? AND if it's hydraulic, why is there a cable?
Thanks, Wes
Poodle email coming.

Surfer
07-29-2005, 03:01 PM
I've got a leak in the steering fluid cooler, when the fluid runs low, you get a bicep workout, but like poodle said no worse than an old Volvo, otherwise turns with one finger when all is good.

SMLDONZI
07-29-2005, 03:05 PM
TXTAZ, I've got the Seastar on my '05 18 and it works great. Zero negatives.

blackhawk
07-29-2005, 05:21 PM
IMO an add-on system is a "band-aid" system.

Broken belt on a full hydraulic still turns easily. In fact, many people skip the power steering systems altogether when running full hydraulic. Broken belt on an add-on system does not turn easily.

An add-on system does remove the tiller arm stress and will prevent a spin out if a belt snaps and will keep the drive "tighter". But, that is all it does. You will have little to no steering control over your boat. Yes, boats do slow down fast. But fast enough? In some cases an add-on system can be more dangerous IMO.