PDA

View Full Version : Boat Levelor Trim Tab???

penbroke
07-28-2005, 09:20 PM
I blew a hose off one of my tabs tonight and lost a bunch of the fluid. I have never had to do anything with these to the point of I don't even know what they use. They are Boat Levelor trim tabs from the 60s. Does anybody know what is the correct fluid for these??

Frank :anchor:

gcarter
07-29-2005, 06:17 AM
I think any ATF will do.
I had some on a '70's boat.

MOP
07-29-2005, 07:22 AM
George is 100% on the ATF, the hoses last a vey long time but when one goes the other will go shortly there after replace both, you will get another 30+ years of of them.

Phil

penbroke
07-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Upon further investigation I just pulled the hose off the barb fitting on the cylinder by dropping the tabs down too far. I use them as brakes because I have no reverse catch on the drive at the present.

Thanks George and Phil.

smoothie
07-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Frank heres their website if you need parts,I would go ahead and rebuild the cylinders while your at it the kit is cheap and easy to do..
http://www.insta-trim.com/main.html

penbroke
07-30-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks Smoothie! Someone told me a while back that they went out of business so I never bothered to look. I think the rebuild on the cylinders will be a winter project tho... :biggrin.:

Thanks

MOP
07-31-2005, 06:51 AM
WINTER! :smash: Hmm the list is growing, you will be a busy camper this year! :shocking:

Phil

penbroke
07-31-2005, 09:38 AM
THAT may have to be a project for another winter...

Frank
truckless :rolleyes:

mattyboy
07-31-2005, 09:55 AM
Frank
now I know why they use biodegradeable oil, I just lost the starboard boat levelor tab on the 16 valdez :eek: so i will be taking on a midsummer day project coming up, is it me I didn't see rebuild kits in the parts section just new rams with hoses??

tabless in the north

penbroke
07-31-2005, 10:26 AM
I didn't see them either but Smoothie never steers me wrong. I'll e-mail them tomorrow.

I don't suppose ATF is biodegradable now, is it?

What part failed on yours??

Frank
truckless, tabbed again, north of Matty.

Barry Phillips
08-01-2005, 09:05 AM
Standard ATF will work fine. Simple Green works great for clean up.

smoothie
08-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Frank
now I know why they use biodegradeable oil, I just lost the starboard boat levelor tab on the 16 valdez :eek: so i will be taking on a midsummer day project coming up, is it me I didn't see rebuild kits in the parts section just new rams with hoses??

tabless in the north

Matty...give em a call,they will have it for ya,its just a couple of O rings and springs.

mattyboy
08-01-2005, 09:21 PM
I guess simple green works on land
not sure what part failed picked tabs up and disconnected for now, next time on the trailer will test

I will give em a call my mech said same thing said they sent him piece parts