PDA

View Full Version : Boating in Florida

onesubdrvr
07-28-2005, 07:23 PM
I've got a question for all my Fl. Chapter SEADOG (or anyone else boating in Florida) friends.

I'm looking for a place to launch the boat boat that has a park with kid stuff on it (swings / etc), I know of one here in Stuart, but it's on the canal, and although the canal is good fun, kinda a straight run, little challenge. BBQ Grills would be a plus too.

What I'd like to do is put a get - to - gether together, where we can have a cook out, and beach / dock the boats, and keep the kids entertained (having big baby sitter problems right now :rolleyes: ). Then run the boats for a little bit, repeat, take turns in each others boats / etc.

I'm also hoping to get a ride in a couple of different donzi's, 16, 18, Minx, 22, Critter, 22zx, etc.:biggrin.:

Also to get momma to try out a couple of different boats too, and meet some more of the Donzi women - (a seceret way of boat shopping):crossfing . You know, the kind that can share stories of our sickness "I swore I wouldn't let him sell the old boat and get a new one, I mean, a boat is a boat, but after he whined and complained for sooo long, I finally let him get this one, and Oh My God,.... I love it,..... I wish I had done it sooner" etc. etc. :biggrin.:

Thanks, looking forward to responses!
Wayne

florida gator
07-28-2005, 07:37 PM
There is a chain of lakes near me with a few parks; grills, playground, bathrooms, volleyball courts, etc.. Great lake for skiing and playing around. They just had a APBA race July 3. Not exactly the best place for opening up and running though. You could ride from one end to the other in about 5 minutes.

onesubdrvr
07-28-2005, 07:43 PM
There is a chain of lakes near me with a few parks; grills, playground, bathrooms, volleyball courts, etc.. Great lake for skiing and playing around. They just had a APBA race July 3. Not exactly the best place for opening up and running though. You could ride from one end to the other in about 5 minutes.
That actually might be good, never far from land,...... but lets keep in mind the BIGGER picuter here :biggrin: . Any quick links to the chain with info>

Thanks!
Wayne

florida gator
07-28-2005, 08:05 PM
http://www.citruscountychamber.com/

I can do some more research. I'm sure since I am the current President of the chamber I can get any info you would need.

florida gator
07-28-2005, 08:06 PM
BTW it's the Lake Tsala Apopka Chain in Inverness. Very close to the geographic center of the state.

ChromeGorilla
07-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Don't you have a baby shower or tupperware party to attend? :rlol:

Cuda
07-28-2005, 08:34 PM
I've got a question for all my Fl. Chapter SEADOG (or anyone else boating in Florida) friends.

I'm looking for a place to launch the boat boat that has a park with kid stuff on it (swings / etc), I know of one here in Stuart, but it's on the canal, and although the canal is good fun, kinda a straight run, little challenge. BBQ Grills would be a plus too.

What I'd like to do is put a get - to - gether together, where we can have a cook out, and beach / dock the boats, and keep the kids entertained (having big baby sitter problems right now :rolleyes: ). Then run the boats for a little bit, repeat, take turns in each others boats / etc.

I'm also hoping to get a ride in a couple of different donzi's, 16, 18, Minx, 22, Critter, 22zx, etc.:biggrin.:

Also to get momma to try out a couple of different boats too, and meet some more of the Donzi women - (a seceret way of boat shopping):crossfing . You know, the kind that can share stories of our sickness "I swore I wouldn't let him sell the old boat and get a new one, I mean, a boat is a boat, but after he whined and complained for sooo long, I finally let him get this one, and Oh My God,.... I love it,..... I wish I had done it sooner" etc. etc. :biggrin.:

Thanks, looking forward to responses!
Wayne

Well, that's exactly what I was trying to do when I was trying to make a get together here on the St John's River. There wasn't much interest shown. There's a big park right here by the house at the boat ramp. Perfect for picnic or get together. Also, the owner of the bar about a mile from the ramp lives on my street. There is a patio area outside that I'm sure I could have him reserve for us, and maybe fire up the smoker for us.

gcarter
07-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Actually Silver Glen Springs has a park.
And so does the ramp near Cuda's house.
Then there's the large recreation center/boat ramp (12 ramps) where the Marines/ Christmas present thingie was launched last December.

gcarter
07-28-2005, 08:41 PM
Take a look at;
http://www.lcwa.org/PublicFiles/GISRes_harris-chn-map.pdf
And look at Hickory Point Recreation Area at the junction of Lake Harris and Little Lake Harris.

gcarter
07-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Also the park where the Mt Dora Boat show is held has a nice kiddie area, nature trail, rest rooms and many other facilities.

onesubdrvr
07-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Sounds good everyone!!

Cuda,... I'll be in touch soon, perhaps you can get with you're neighbor. I didn't realize that's what you were trying to set up, but, I can be a little bit of a moron sometimes?!. I thought you guys were just gonna run for lunch. My kids are OK and all, but a resturant isn't the best place for the baby.

Going to Disney next week, but will post again when I get back, and hopefully we can get something set up,.... I'll bring the beans!

Wayne

onesubdrvr
07-28-2005, 09:04 PM
http://www.citruscountychamber.com/

I can do some more research. I'm sure since I am the current President of the chamber I can get any info you would need.
I appreciate the help, I think a pot-luck BBQ kid of deal could be a lot of fun, center of the state would be good for everyone (read fair travel time for everyone, so no excuses for not coming)!!

Wayne

Cuda
07-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Hickory point would be a great place, plenty of dockage, nice ramps, covered picnic areas and such. Also, there is no speed limit on the lake. :)

Cuda
07-28-2005, 09:30 PM
The only thing is, if we use Hickory Point, someone has to remind Chrome Gorilla to bring the key to his battery. :bonk:

Cuda
07-28-2005, 09:30 PM
We really should have something in Florida before the Hometown Rally.

onesubdrvr
07-28-2005, 09:35 PM
We really should have something in Florida before the Hometown Rally.
I agree, we've had a bunch of small get togethers, but a big one would be nice,.....especially like we're talking, park, BBQ, etc. I'm game any time from the weekend of the 12th on,....

Wife works every other Saturday, but I could drag the kids up by myself (yes, all 4 of 'em), I'm SURE some of the women would love to help me watch 'em and play with some kids again :yes: ,... and with mine, could be a good form of birth control!! :biggrin.:

ChromeGorilla
07-28-2005, 09:44 PM
The only thing is, if we use Hickory Point, someone has to remind Chrome Gorilla to bring the key to his battery. :bonk:

I don't care what everybody says about Cuda. For an old dude his mind is still pretty sharp......I almost forgot about that.....thanks for the reminder! :rolleyes:

ChromeGorilla
07-28-2005, 09:46 PM
But I agree. That would be a nice place to do a bbq and hangout.

Cuda
07-29-2005, 06:31 AM
I just pulled out my LCWA (Lake County Water Authority) waterways map. The more I look at it, the more Hickory Point looks perfect. Lots of room for running around, access to several different lakes, lots of choices for restaurants on the water. I think we may take a run from there week after next. Anyone else want to go the weekend of 8/13?

gcarter
07-29-2005, 06:39 AM
UUUhhhhhhhh...................
I think maybe I could make that as it's only about ten minutes by boat from where I launch. :rlol:

onesubdrvr
07-29-2005, 03:38 PM
8/13 Sounds good to me, I'll be in touch!!

Wayne

onesubdrvr
07-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Accessible from Lake Dora??
MP,

Looking at the county chart I downloaded, looks like a canal / lock from Lake Dora to Lake Eustis, then another canal to Lake Harris, down to Hickory point. I'm sure GC will tell you for sure though.

Talk at 'cha soon
Wayne

onesubdrvr
07-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Ahh, no lock on the Dora canal... Cool, I was not paying atention, did not realize the park was on Lake Harris :bonk::bonk::bonk:

MP, Are you thinking about towing up, Buiz?

Wayne

florida gator
07-29-2005, 06:09 PM
I just pulled out my LCWA (Lake County Water Authority) waterways map. The more I look at it, the more Hickory Point looks perfect. Lots of room for running around, access to several different lakes, lots of choices for restaurants on the water. I think we may take a run from there week after next. Anyone else want to go the weekend of 8/13?

Would love to do a picnic soon but, weekend of the 13, I will be reclaiming my manhood at the annual raft race. Anyone know where I can get beads on short notice?

onesubdrvr
07-29-2005, 06:14 PM
Would love to do a picnic soon but, weekend of the 13, I will be reclaiming my manhood at the annual raft race. Anyone know where I can get beads on short notice?
If your talkin' Mardi-Gras show me your :smileybo: beads, check your local dollar stores and wally world

Wayne

Cuda
07-29-2005, 06:54 PM
MP, it's just around the corner from Dead River Vics. Well, a little bit of a ride, but the same lake.

Cuda
07-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Here's a scan of the map.

onesubdrvr
07-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I might tow up and check into the Lakeside..
That would be really cool, it'd be good to see 'ya again

and that goes for all you other schmucks too!! :biggrin:

Wayne

gcarter
08-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Is anyone still interested in doing this? It's this Saturday.

ChromeGorilla
08-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Dang, I love boating on the Harris chain, but can't go this weekend. Have friends going out on the boat with us locally. Have fun everyone... Cuda, you actually gonna make this one??????? :D

Cuda
08-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Yeah, I'll give it another shot. As soon as it cools down some this evening, I'll swap out batteries and see if that fixes the problem. I was going to buy a tap and die set and run a die over the terminal, but hell, it's cheaper to buy a new battery!

I'm in most any weekend for anywhere that's in a 100 mile radius of Deland. I'd still like to make the run from Daytona to St Augustine too.

onesubdrvr
08-09-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm still interested, but wife is working Saturday, kind of tough to control all 4 kids by myself, but may try!! Anyone thinking maybe Sunday? Pot-luck BBQ?

Soon,
Wayne

Cuda
08-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Either day, makes no difference to me. George?

Cuda
08-09-2005, 02:38 PM
How about Mr Reed? You gonna be around?

gcarter
08-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Either day, makes no difference to me. George?
A strong "probably".

onesubdrvr
08-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Dang, I love boating on the Harris chain, but can't go this weekend. Have friends going out on the boat with us locally. Have fun everyone... Cuda, you actually gonna make this one??????? :D

All weekend, or just Saturday? Would be great to see you and the mrs. again?!

Wayne

gcarter
08-12-2005, 10:08 PM
and we don't have any plans.
We know where!
But when, and whos coming?
Is this pot luck, or is it bring your own bag?

onesubdrvr
08-12-2005, 10:37 PM
and we don't have any plans.
We know where!
But when, and whos coming?
Is this pot luck, or is it bring your own bag?
I hear 'ya George,....

I'm wondering if Cuda can make it as he has Kyle this weekend, we know CG is out, I'm 90% in for Sunday, 0% Saturday (no baby help), I'm wondering if we shouldn't wait for next weekend (I think some people lost track of this because of the burb)? This weekend I'm good for some potatoe and macaroni salad, next weekend good for some BBQ Pork (yummy!!). But let me know, no matter when or wear, now I've got the boat back, I'll do my best to make it!!

Wayne

gcarter
08-13-2005, 06:12 AM
Then let's just wait for a better weekend.

Cuda
08-13-2005, 07:56 AM
Tomorrow's fine with me. We have Kyle, but he doesn't mind the ride. :)

onesubdrvr
08-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Then let's just wait for a better weekend.
George, sounds good to me,.... is just about any weekend good for you (being so close)?

At-least, if Debbie has Kyle every other weekend, then that's on the same schedual as when my wife works Saturday :smile: . I'm voting for the 20th (next weekend) or Sept 3rd. Also I'm sure like many people, I'd hope we can work this out (most people that would come visit the board pretty regularly), by Wed or Thur - that way I can get the pork and BBQ it (takes about 18 hours, mmmmmm)

Wayne

hmmm, thinking of some catchy name for a get together, like the
Bumbling Boating, BBQ and Boat Soda Business Break

ChromeGorilla
08-13-2005, 08:06 AM
I'll be at Silver Glen again today...just FYI...... :)

Cuda
08-13-2005, 08:30 AM
I'll be at Silver Glen again today...just FYI...... :)
I thought you were staying local with some freinds today. Maybe we'll come up to the Glen. I really need to run the fishboat, I haven't had it in the water in several months, and it has a bimini to keep Kyle out of the sun.

Cuda
08-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Next weekend, we are planning on going to Panama City for the Apba races, that's why we swapped weekends with Kyle this week. This was supposed to be an off week.