PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Dilemma

woodsy32
05-03-2001, 10:11 AM
I will finally take delivery of my '97 22 Classic towards the middle/end of next month. I need a trailer. I looked into the Rolls trailers, but getting one from FL to NH is a real pain, just ask Bertram boy. So I needed something a bit more local. I also needed to mention that I don't have the $$ for a $4500-$5000 Eagle or Myco setup. I have pretty much narrowed it down to an Aluminum Loadrite at 5200lbs capacity, or a Shoreland'r painted steel trailer @ 4600lbs. They are both double axle, bunk type trailers, and they both cost about $3000. I need some opinions. The boat will be pretty much a fresh water deal, at least until I can find the $$$ for a heat exchanger setup. Thanks for the opinions!!

Dave

Looped
05-03-2001, 12:48 PM
Dave,
Try Coastline Trailers (http://by-the-sea.com/trailers/index.html) in Falmouth, MA (just over the Bourne Bridge). They have new and used trailers for sale. If not, you may be better off trying somewhere in Tax Free NH.

Craig

woodsy32
05-03-2001, 01:27 PM
Thanks Looped!! I did just talk to the guy down there, and he is great. He didn't not really say which trailer is better. I just was wondering what would be the better choice, the aluminum Loadrite, or the steel shoreland'r. I have had pretty good experience with Shoreland'r. I had a shoreland'r underneath the 18 Classic I just sold. The trailer is 5 yrs old and is still in great shape. I just don't know too much about aluminum trailers or Loadrite. Thanks again for any input.

Dave

Looped
05-03-2001, 02:12 PM
Dave,
When I spoke to him a few months back he seemed like he only wanted to sell what I needed not one that had all of the unnecessary bells and whistles. I did not get my 200-dollar special from him but when the Donzi is close to being ready I will go back to him for the alum. ā€œIā€ beam style.

Good luck!
Craig

Red Rocket
05-03-2001, 03:16 PM
Try Performance Trailers in Lake George, NY. They make custom bunk trailers to match the hull configuration of your boat and can customize the color to match your boat. Competitively priced. Ask for Bill @: 518-668-3103.

MarkG
05-03-2001, 05:41 PM
I happen to find a trailer just like your looking for on dibt.com last year for my GT21.
I found it at this site: http://www.dibit.com/browse.stuff/Marine/Trailers/
Its a custom trailer(Like an Eagle) used only 3 years, wrong color, but paint is cheap. Only $1,400!!

I was just about to buy a new trailer from Loadmaster in Port Clinton, OHIO that makes custom trailers similar to Eagle. They should have the patterns for your boat plus they are about $1,000 or less in cost. Priced somewhere in between a standard
adjustable trailer & the Eagle.
They also have several used standard trailers that people trade in on new custom trailers.
You might give them a call @ 1 800 258-6115 Or see www.loadmastertrailerco.com (http://www.loadmastertrailerco.com)

Mark >=^;;>

woodsy32
05-04-2001, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys for the advice & info!! Looks like I will be going with a custom trailer from Loadmaster. With the brake flush & the spare tire it comes to $3200 + delivery. The delivery is a bitch @ 1.25 per mile, so I am going to split the distance with them. The woman I talked to on the phone, Laurie was very informative, and answered all of my questions. I even get it painted in a black/golflake metallic with yellow pinstripes to match the boat. Did I mention the 2 week delivery date?? Anyway if the trailer quality is as good as they say, I will be one extremely happy owner!! Thanks again for the help and advice!

Dave

MarkG
05-04-2001, 04:36 PM
Dave

They were great people to talk with & I think the big savings was factory direct sales. I was two days away from buying one myself. How about a report after you pick the
trailer? I might be ready to buy one for another boat shortly.

Mark

woodsy32
05-08-2001, 01:31 PM
Well guys... I flip-flopped! I ended up going with a Performance trailer out of Lake George, NY. Thanks Peter D. for the number. To be honest, I have never heard of them, but they actually sell about 200+ trailers a year to a ski boat dealership in Danvers MA. To make a long story short, I checked the trailers out this weekend. It's nice to see and touch what you are interested in buying. The quality is top notch... better than Eagle trailers. Very similar in construction, all high quality box steel construction. Very nice welds and paint work. Overall I was very impressed. The cost was the best part... $3100.00!! Eascoast Flightcraft is only charging me $300 to broker the deal (And be able to use my credit card). Total cost, $3400.00 delivered!! Thats with an inline brake actuator, aluminum wheels and spare. The colors will be black with yellow striping. I should have it in my possession before Memorial Day, hopefully I can post some pix!! If you have any questions, ping me... dwood@mediaone.net

Dave

RickR
05-08-2001, 03:01 PM
Woodsy
If you are EVER going to use your Donzi in salt water a aluminum trailer is a MUST! You cannot rinse the inside or tubular steel! It WILL rust where the welds are.
The Continental tubular painted steel trailer that came with my 18 lasted 2 years after it was used in salt (4 weeks a year).
The 1995 galvanized Performance trailer that came with my 22 last year needed brakes, brake actuator,brake lines, wheels, tires, springs and bunks. So I just went ahead and replaced it with a Rolls 23/60T ($2200+ $520[disc brakes]+ $30[spare tire carrier]=$2750 w/ galvanized wheels.

Good Luck!

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 05-08-2001).]

woodsy32
05-08-2001, 03:56 PM
Rick,

Thanks for the heads up, but it is extremely doubtful the Donzi will see salt. Even when the boat might see saltwater, I usually lauch from a riverside marina and have them hoist the boat in. I would have gotten a Rolls, but delivery up this way is a pain. I hope this trailer is as nice as the other ones I have seen.

Dave