PDA

View Full Version : Prop search finally ends for 18C

tmdog
07-27-2005, 02:20 PM
:biggrin: After swapping all kinds of props to get the best ride which took 4 yrs. and lots of bucks, I finally decided to settle on the Turbo Vector. The 23 Turbo1 was fastest of all props tested, showed 5350 rpm at 72 (no gps) but gave an uncomfortable ride on cruise in a light chop. I always was aware when testing other props that it did not lift the stern enough unless you were boating at max throttle. The Mirage plus would beat you up in choppy water and could only drive slow w/ bow lifted. It did not like my 18C. Without Precion props help my problem would'nt be solved. I kept stressing the point that I needed a prop to lift the stern and that is what the larger diameter and big rake did. The rake is really swept back and dia. is a 1/2 larger than the Turbo. With the Vector I lost all torque steer which was unasfe before and now can take my hands off the wheel at all speeds and continue to go straight. It rides the chop at 40mph like a dream. I can't say enough good things about that prop. Now comes the down side of the Vector. Top speed is reduced by 4mph. But I increased pitch by 1 inch resulting in lower rpm, 4700. I'm sure this is not the Holy Grail for all 18 C's, but for mine it is heaven. Thought I should let you know. :biggrin: :biggrin: P.S Who else is running a Vector?

SMLDONZI
07-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Congratulations! What kind of power and drive ratio are you running?

tmdog
07-27-2005, 06:25 PM
SBC 350-Bored 60 over- Comp XM270 cam- Vortec heads and 750 Holley. We figure 350 maybe more. Alpha 1.5 ratio

mphatc
07-27-2005, 10:03 PM
very cool!! Congrats !

Exactly my experience with the Mirage 23P on Corsican. I'm a bit lower in HP at 333 HP with my 302 , and run a 1.5 Bravo.

This w/e I'll be trying a Hydromotive 4 blade . .. with the hope to acheive more stern lift, and improved ride. I really don't care if I loose 4 mph if it saves my spine!

Mario

mphatc
07-28-2005, 09:20 PM
So during the Winni Poker Run I shouldn't take a short cut thru "The Witches" :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

Not to worry Madpoodle, I've been on Winni in my entire life, Never hit a rock with a power boat, but I can't say that for my sailboat which needed 5' of water :bawling: Much more costly than a prop . . but that's another story.

Mario

DickB
07-28-2005, 09:30 PM
:biggrin: After swapping all kinds of props to get the best ride which took 4 yrs. and lots of bucks, I finally decided to settle on the Turbo Vector. The 23 Turbo1 was fastest of all props tested, showed 5350 rpm at 72 (no gps) but gave an uncomfortable ride on cruise in a light chop. I always was aware when testing other props that it did not lift the stern enough unless you were boating at max throttle. The Mirage plus would beat you up in choppy water and could only drive slow w/ bow lifted. It did not like my 18C. Without Precion props help my problem would'nt be solved. I kept stressing the point that I needed a prop to lift the stern and that is what the larger diameter and big rake did. The rake is really swept back and dia. is a 1/2 larger than the Turbo. With the Vector I lost all torque steer which was unasfe before and now can take my hands off the wheel at all speeds and continue to go straight. It rides the chop at 40mph like a dream. I can't say enough good things about that prop. Now comes the down side of the Vector. Top speed is reduced by 4mph. But I increased pitch by 1 inch resulting in lower rpm, 4700. I'm sure this is not the Holy Grail for all 18 C's, but for mine it is heaven. Thought I should let you know. :biggrin: :biggrin: P.S Who else is running a Vector?

What is your indicated top speed?

tmdog
07-29-2005, 11:08 AM
What is your indicated top speed?

Mind you, not GPS. Speedo indicates about 67 mph. Top end was not so important as I was looking for a good ride.

mphatc
07-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Hydromotive QIV Labbed 23P LH

:propeller :propeller :propeller :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

WOW what a change to my Corsican !

smooth, very smooth, and very drivable in the rough just like you said Poodle!!!

With a full tank of 44 gals and Cliff in the boat I could spin this to 4400. I need to go back out and try it alone when Winni is not all mixed up 4' motor boat waves.

It did not launch like the Mirage, It actually cavitated with a full throttle out of the hole take off . . . .??? I'll post more after I have run it again, and I may retune a few things for more power now that my engine is completely broken in and has some time on it.

Poodle, I'll call you Monday afternoon!

Mario