PDA

View Full Version : Qjet question

MOP
07-26-2005, 10:01 PM
My kid had what he thought was carb trouble so he pulled it and had it waiting for me to look at when I got back from 1K. Got it apart everything looked better then great, I asked what it was doing. He said dumping fuel down one barrel real bad, will that is the side that has the diaphragm dump from the fuel pump. Bad carb mystery solved! Now for my question when I tore it down I found the two lower air bleeds at the bottom of the primaries very neatly covered over with what looked to be Marine Tex almost as if it was applied with a stamp, before I could say Boo Michael scrapped one side off. The carb was a factory rebuilt that has been on the engine for two years and ran perfect so apparently there was a reason for them to be covered. It is a marine carb with the fuel dumps with two sets of numbers that could find 14623 and 43948. I have done a ton of Qjets over the years but have never seen any with the two lower bleeds closed off, I am of the mind to re plug them and kit the carb and throw a new fuel pump on.
Anyone have any input.

Phil

Cuda
07-26-2005, 10:33 PM
I haven't had the problem in my boat yet with a Qjet, but I had a 72 Chevy P/U with a 350 Qjet, and the damn thing would flood all the time. Right or wrong, I attributed to a design flaw that would enable the float to get wedged in the bowl, or stuck from some minute piece of dirt. I can't prove it in court, but I do know a new Holley Spreadbore cured the problem immediately. :)