PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Black Box

iznod33
07-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Our 1986 Z33 is turning out to be more of a project than we anticipated.

We found some kind of electrical box mounted with severed wires under the helm station, so we brought it in to see if someone could help us identify it. It has 16 numbered wires and a couple relays (?) inside. An information about what this is and where we might find a schematic would be helpful.

Holly

Donzigo
07-25-2005, 10:25 PM
In 1986, Dick Genth wanted to produce a really high tech (for that era) boat. This black box you speak of, is probably connected to the panel on the left with the lights. This box would have sensed low water, high temp, low oil pressure, etc. etc. I had the same box. I discarded it. That box was produced by a company in Bradenton, which is long since gone out of business. Depending on which engine configuration you have, you probably can wire the lights to go with your high temp sensor and oil pressure sensor on your engine. I did not do that myself, it's only an assumption.

If you can produce a picture, I can verify what you are talking about is the same I am referring to.

iznod33
07-25-2005, 10:42 PM
I am impressed with the wealth of knowledge found here at Donzi.net.

Here are a couple of photos of our black box.

The wiring under the helm station looks like a rat's nest. Good to know that this probably is a non-essential component. Thanks!

Holly

Trueser
07-25-2005, 10:44 PM
I think the black box he is talking about is for the trim. I just spent days trouble shooting a problem on my trim, and ended up having a bad relay.

That is the trim control. You may need that unless you have a work around.

Anyway I would like to eliminate mine. Winter project...................

Donzigo
07-25-2005, 10:51 PM
Yes, that's the one.

The genius box that controls this little box is the black one on the left of the box. YOu got to be impressed with the heat shrinking of the unit. This heat shrinking would have been done by the shop that built the box. The factory is responsible for the rat's nest. Not much has changed today. Remember, they only want them to go out the door and be sold. I have spent over 1oo hours totally replacing ever single wire on my dashboard and heat shrinking all connections. The general boat buyer could care less about that sort of thing and won't pay for it.

I musts admit, it's certainly overkill on my part. But, I'm excentric and love it. Keeps me off the streets and out of the bars. If you want to see some of my work on my dashboard, search for the pictures of that project. I have posted them on an earlier thread.

Let me know if I might help you with your new Z-33. She's a lady, for sure.

Richard
727-867-7020

Donzigo
07-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Nope, it's not the trim, Trueser.

I'm a littel stumped with the relays, though.

MOP
07-25-2005, 11:23 PM
I ran into a box like that years back the relays powered up the alarm buzzer and had indicator lights for T&T and engine functions. You are better off trashing it you can get the alarms to work with out it, take the tan/blue wires coming from the alarm senders and go direct to tab on the buzzer and supply switched ignition voltage to the other tab. The buzzer is a round black jobby looks like a small hockey puck held with one screw under the dash. It will buzz when you turn the key on indicating low oil and will then buzz only if the temp goes to high.

Phil

iznod33
07-25-2005, 11:59 PM
Thanks,
There are two control boxes mounted above that are labled for sensor lights, so someone must have changed over. Not all the wires have been hooked back up so I'll have to do some more digging. All guages work fine except fuel reads full all the time (Too bad the tank doesn't do the same.) On a seperate note I've got a leak on the starboard swim step under the trim piece where it appears the hull and top were just caulked to seal together. Is this how these were put together or is there something I should be concerned about? Your right Richard she's definatly a Lady.
Thanks, Craig

iznod33
07-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Where exactly is that line?

I ran into a box like that years back the relays powered up the alarm buzzer and had indicator lights for T&T and engine functions. You are better off trashing it you can get the alarms to work with out it, take the tan/blue wires coming from the alarm senders and go direct to tab on the buzzer and supply switched ignition voltage to the other tab. The buzzer is a round black jobby looks like a small hockey puck held with one screw under the dash. It will buzz when you turn the key on indicating low oil and will then buzz only if the temp goes to high.

Phil

Donzigo
07-26-2005, 12:53 AM
MOP has the right idea, allright. That's exactly what I did.

Truser, you know, I think you might be on to something with those two relays being trim relays. They were eleminated on later models, though.

IZNO33 - yes, the hull and top cap are joined & connected right at the bottom of the back transom, as you noted. I have the same problem. The thing leaks, rather seeps a little, when you are anchored. You can almost stop that if you clean it and dig the old stuff out of the crease, then dry the area and fill it with 5200. let it cure for a day before you use the boat. You might have to do that once a year. The design was a sign of the future and Don Westerman, the designer of the boat, had vision; because, that design with the back sloping down to the water is used on many boats today. I would think that they have solved the design flaw of the leak. if I were to design it, I would simply bring the bottom hull up an inch or two above the waterline before attaching the top cap. That way, there would not be a place for the water to seep in.

Trueser
07-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Donzigo,

The relays are for the limit control and so you can also move both drives up or down with one switch. The other black module is a diode assembly that works with the relays.

You can also find a wiring diagram in the back of the Alpha1 drive manual.

I spent two days tracing wires and fixing my box that had a bad relay.

And as far as the transom seam I removed the seam to eliminate that problem. See some of my old post Z29.

I will post new pictures today if I have time.