PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Prop Shaft Threads?

Craig
07-25-2005, 08:06 AM
Does anyone know, right off hand, the thread size and depth to drill that is needed for the bolt that goes into the prop shaft of a Volvo 280 (etc.) drive that needs that done to recieve a long hub prop?

I know I've seen some helpful links about this. Drilling the hole by hand vs other methods.

I have need to do this and am seeking guidance.

I'm a little concerned because when I wanted to do it a couple years ago, my "very good at what he does" machinist friend told me he wouldn't do it after looking at the shaft. I told him that, from what I'd seen here, it seems a common enough procedure. I'm guessing that he, even being a very smart guy, is underestimating the steel strength of these shafts.

Anyway, I'm going to do it. I just need some guidance so I don't screw it up. I already have the bolt, plastic washer, etc.; just need a hole (with threads)!

Appreciate any replies!

Craig
07-25-2005, 11:42 AM
I guess I could say "never mind" -- I found a few threads that discuss this at length.

Looks like Tony S. gave it a whirl a while back. Any problems Tony? I'm guessing "no" since I've heard you discuss running the 24" Ultra. I assume the drilling and tapping was a sucess.

Guess I'll weigh all that info., cross my fingers, close my eyes; no; wait; better leave the eyes open; and give it a try.

Still if anyone has some last minute advice, don't hesitate!

penbroke
07-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Use LOTS of oil and don't rush it. It really is no big deal. You can use the cone as a guide for the drill.

Frank
All tapped out.