PDA

View Full Version : 454 mag crank pulley wobble

zimm17
07-25-2005, 07:06 AM
I noticed the crank pulley wobbles...alot. Maybe a 1/4 inch. Lots of vibes through boat when reving motor.

I'm thinking a new pulley and harmonic balancer to make sure everything is straight. What do you guys think? Where should I get them at a good price?

The motor was just rebuilt by the previous owner so maybe they dropped or put the engine down on the pully and bent it or something of that nature. I don't want to take any chances with this engine- can't afford a rebuilt at this point.

Donzigo
07-25-2005, 08:44 AM
The pully is easy enough to replace. The harmonic balancer is another thing. I always put fresh water on these items before rinsing the engine after use. The pulleys get rust inside them on the inside. It's important to keep them free of salt/corrosion.

zimm17
07-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Got the new pulley for $100. It's a lightweight aluminum piece. After some investigating the part of the pulley that sits into the harmonic balancer is too big in diameter to seat all the way. The builder just ran the bolts in and the pulley sat crooked.

Took 30 minutes with a file to get the ring down small enough to fit into the balancer, but now it sits flat and no more vibrations!

I wonder if the harmonic blancer is the right part- seems like mercruiser parts should FIT without any handiwork involved.

The pullay is easy enough to replace. The harmonic balnacer is another thing. I always put fresh water on these items before rinsing the engine after use. The pulleys get rust inside them on the inside. It's important to keep them free of salt/corrosion.

joseph m. hahnl
07-31-2005, 04:19 PM
Got the new pulley for $100. It's a lightweight aluminum piece. After some investigating the part of the pulley that sits into the harmonic balancer is too big in diameter to seat all the way. The builder just ran the bolts in and the pulley sat crooked.

Took 30 minutes with a file to get the ring down small enough to fit into the balancer, but now it sits flat and no more vibrations!

I wonder if the harmonic blancer is the right part- seems like mercruiser parts should FIT without any handiwork involved.

was the balancer caroded? the hole may have shrunk from rust. you may have needed to scrape it out. any way it.s a done deal now. as i've said before .001 smaller is a press fit. and that hammer needs to be pretty big to wack it into place.

joe

joe

Dregsz
08-01-2005, 04:21 AM
Balancers from Summitracing.com and puller install kit.
Hows the oil pressure?
misaligned pulleys can hurt the mains. webbing, kill your motor.

zimm17
08-01-2005, 06:29 AM
Balancers from Summitracing.com and puller install kit.
Hows the oil pressure?
misaligned pulleys can hurt the mains. webbing, kill your motor.

Not sure what you are saying about summit racing. Everything is running smooth now though. Pulley is now flat and spinning true. Runs great.