PDA

View Full Version : First Run !

smokediver
07-25-2005, 06:59 AM
Finally ! I made it out yesterday to start breaking in my new engine . I went from a 4.3 vortec to a 5.7 vortec . I bought the engine from mercruiser through their reman. program . completley turn key with all accessories . The tag on the block said that it was bored .040 and something about .010 ? I put on a new upper half on the outdrive changing the gearing from 1.81 to 1.62 .. anyway , i was able to run her yesterday . When I put her in , I looked in the engine compartment and checked for leaks , seeing none , my daughter and I headed out . The boat sounds great with the thru hull exhaust . I put angle cut eddie marine tips with the internal flappers .. no mufflers :D .. the boat ran great ! I didn't go over 4000 rpm and varied my speed from 2500 rpm to 4000 , but mostly ran in the 3000-3500 range . The big difference in the two is the torque . the acceleration is just awesome ! The sound is awesome ! this is like having a new boat !!!! I have owned my boat for 7 years now and I was am as happy now as i was on the very first run i ever made in her !
I do have a few concerns .. My temp gauge shows 150 and then 180 .. I am closer to the 180 mark than i am 150 . my oil preesure reads 40 psi on plane and 20-30 at idle . I plan on changing the oil this week before running it again. I am wondering if the water intake tube coming from the inner transom plate is a different size for the 5.7 ? I also wonder if it is possible that I screwed the elbows in the bottom of the manifolds to far ? I put Aluminium GLM manifolds on it to get the weight back to that of the V-6 . the difference i believe is about 100 pounds ..

Cuda
07-25-2005, 07:08 AM
Do you have a thermostat installed. Alpha's tend to run warm in warm water, and I know the gulf temp was 93 in St Pete last weekend.

Sam
07-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Well I'm glad it all worked out for you, once you get her broke in please post your perfomance specs. I run at 150 to 160 with mine and water temp dosen't seem to make much differance. Then again it's not 90 degrees more like 80 tops.

Sam

Cuda
07-25-2005, 09:33 AM
I take it you're using raw water cooling. Salt deposts begin to develop quickly at temps over 140.

Cuda
07-25-2005, 09:36 AM
On my F20 Formula with an Alpha/Sbc combo, I went with closed cooling because I couldn't keep the raw water temps down when I lived in St Pete. I wonder if a crank mounted pump like gcarter's would circulate enough water to keep them down?