PDA

View Full Version : My seat broke!!!!!!!!!!!!

donzi182003
07-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Today I sat in my boat while it was on the trailer after backing it into the water......and my seat broke off. There goes a good day of boating:cussball: The mount that is bolted to the boat broke off one of its fins. I am puzzled because I was at a dead stop and I weigh 200 lbs which isnt excessively heavy. tried unscrewing the base from the boat and the screws just spin. How do you take the base off? Has anyone removed these seat bases before. Its an 18 classic 2003. I need help!!!!!!!:confused: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Ed

tamburello
07-23-2005, 11:20 PM
The stock mounts on the classics are made by Springfeild and they are definitely not up to the task. More than a few of us have almost soiled our pants when the mounts let go at speed. Luckily you avoided this fun experience.

You can either replace your stock Springfields or as I would strongly suggest you can upgrade to a set of Garelicks. They are much stronger extruded aluminum pieces than the cast Springfields. I have beat the heck out of mine running on Lake Michigan for the last two years and they have no signs of stress or wear.

Getting the old mounts off and the new ones mounted is tricky. I'm lucky because my ski locker in the bottom of the cockpit is a molded plastic unit that I could unscrew and remove. You most likely have a fiberglass molded in unit with a round access port in the bottom of the locker to access the fuel guage sender. Pop off the cover, find someone with small arms and a love of fiberglass itch that can reach with a wrench and go to town.

One note on the Garelicks, they are about 1" taller than the Springfields. The Garelick sliders are part no. 75081. www.garelick.com I ordered mine from iboats.com. They should bolt right on with the same hole pattern as your Springfields.

- Jeff

Dr. Dan
07-24-2005, 06:17 AM
:spongebob Hold on there Texas....don't count Springfield out...the new replacements are totally different than the original Pot Metal Cast items from the dark ages. Brad and I have first hand knowledge of the great Rocking Chair Effect...courtesy of Lake Winnie and some bad judgement on our part.

Anyway... 2 seasons ago mine gave up the ghost, I contacted Springfield and got the current version of the Originals, no gain in height...which I was concerned about... and they have been great. Cliff and I were in them all of 1000 Isles this year and between the 2 of us....neither of us is gonna Win the Twiggy Contest...and they have held up great.

The Springfield Marine Co. P/N 1100300 Trac-Lock II Slide , Universal

I recall them being around $60 for both bases. Aluminum and low profile, with For/Aft adjustments.

Doc :beer:

roadtrip se
07-24-2005, 03:00 PM
votes for the Garelicks!

Nothing like seeing the sky at 70+ to get a person to re-think his seat support brand!

These things are rock solid after two+ seasons of hard use.

tommyboy
07-24-2005, 05:17 PM
My arms are still itching. I have 94 18 classic and flew just a little TOO HIGH last weekend the transom was at least 6' in the air like moody blus pics. We landed and broke both seat mounts, ended up on our butts. I replaced ours with the springfield fore/aft adjustabel $60.00 each. Insted of the factory mounting, I took four pieces of 1/2 x 2 x4 aluminum
slid them into position, marked , drilled, taped them. Next I cut eight pieces of stainless 1/4 20 rod 2 1/4" long. I used 1/4 20 ss nylocks on the rod and then threded them into the aluminum, slid them into position and up thru the holes (easier said than done) and mounted the adjusters. I went through all this so next time I break them, i can change them from above, and not get itchy arms

donzi182003
07-24-2005, 11:09 PM
Is it really that big of a pain in the ass to change them. Whats the average removal and install times. I have never got 6' of air. Thats awesome keep up the good work:yes: :yes:

tamburello
07-25-2005, 08:03 AM
Dr. Dan -

The new version of the Springfields are greatly improved over the older version like I had in my 1994 18'. However, IMHO the Garelicks are still the most durable brackets from a design standpoint. Ranman, the destroyer of seat bases, tore up a pair of the new Springfields and has switched to the Garelicks so we'll see how they fare in his 18 bouncing around on St. Clair, he should be a feild tester.

- Texas

tamburello
07-25-2005, 08:23 AM
Donzi182003-

My seat base swap took under an hour and wasn't too difficult as my ski locker is removeable. Using the fuel sender access hole will make things more difficult, as the outside holes are a long reach, but it shouldn't take too much longer. One trick we used while changing ours was to duct tape the nut to the wrench so that they didn't fall into the bilge while starting to thread them onto the bolt. We put the bolt down through the mounting holes but others have pushed the bolt up from the bottom which is probably easier than trying to thread the nut on blind from such an awkward position. Ranman pushed his bolts up from the bottom and used those little plastic-covered wire twist-ties to wrap around the bolts to keep 'em from falling into the bilge while mounting the bases and getting the nuts threaded on.

- Jeff

donzi182003
07-25-2005, 09:46 AM
I am going to try to remove the base tomorrow. I am just real glad that thing didnt break while underway. I was furious when that thing broke. Not because of the problem but because of the thought that It could have been really dangerous if it had happened at speed. I guess im just used to a center console leaning post. Go figure. Thanks again for the input guys, Ill keep ya posted. Lets see how being 6'3" helps me get into that little access hole.

Ed:cartman:

Ranman
07-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Dr. Dan -

The new version of the Springfields are greatly improved over the older version like I had in my 1994 18'. However, IMHO the Garelicks are still the most durable brackets from a design standpoint. Ranman, the destroyer of seat bases, tore up a pair of the new Springfields and has switched to the Garelicks so we'll see how they fare in his 18 bouncing around on St. Clair, he should be a feild tester.

- Texas

I agree with Jeff. There are 3 frames that I'm aware of for the Donzi 18's. There are the old styly Springfields that were cast pot metal with long mounting "ears" that loved to snap. These have been replaced by the newly updated and extruded Springfield units Dan and others are speaking of. Then there are the Garelicks. The Garelicks are like $100 a pop but are MUCH better than the updated (or any for that matter) Springfields out there. If you look at the springfield and Garelick side by side it is obvious that the Garelicks are far superior units.

I have destroyed no less than four of those updated Springfield pieces, I have now installed the garelicks and they are holding up very well. I think part of the isue is that since I'm tall, I have to slide the seat all the way back, hanging it way off the base and adding stress to the assembly.

Anyway, if you want the best available, go with the Garelicks.

DickB
07-25-2005, 07:33 PM
I replaced my broken Springfields with Garelicks this spring. Now I can’t access the storage locker without removing one of the handles. I plan to cut them about an inch or so to solve this – anyone have another solution? As they are stainless steel, I think I will need to go to a machine shop for this.

donzi182003
07-26-2005, 12:41 AM
I called Springfield today and they are sending me a new base free of charge because it is less than 3 years old. I am going to replace it temporarily with the free base but I am going to buy the Garelicks after seeing that picture. Wow what a difference! The ones I have look like chit next to those. I do not trust the bases on there at all after that incident. I dont want to risk killing myself or a passenger for $200.

Ed

Moody Blu'
07-26-2005, 08:57 PM
6' in the air like moody blus pics.

:cool!: :biggrin.:

are the older mounts heavier duty?
I never had a problem.

Ranman
07-26-2005, 10:13 PM
I replaced my broken Springfields with Garelicks this spring. Now I can’t access the storage locker without removing one of the handles. I plan to cut them about an inch or so to solve this – anyone have another solution? As they are stainless steel, I think I will need to go to a machine shop for this.

Swap the frames around so the adjusters are facing the outside. I ran into this same problem with the center storage hatch. The handles are a little tricky to get to on the outside, but still accessable and you can open the center hatch no problem. The sliders are symmetrical front to back so flipping them around is a piece of cake.

donzi182003
07-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Ranman,

I am 6'3 and i also keep my seat all the way back. Do you think i even need to worry about accessing the handles???????

Craig S
07-27-2005, 11:02 PM
I was looking at a Donzi by Roscoli (sp?) at Pier 66 today. The bridge pedestals (3, I believe) looked like the Garelicks, but in stainless. Looked really trick.

Craig S
07-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Your in town? I have to go to liquordale today, lunch???
I pm'd you with my cell. Couldn't make it today.:beer:

Ranman
07-28-2005, 09:25 PM
I am 6'3 and i also keep my seat all the way back. Do you think i even need to worry about accessing the handles???????

If you buy the Garelicks for your 18, mount them so the adjuster handles are on the outside of the seats. I won't say they're incredibly conveniant, but I will say my wife now drives the boat way more now that we can adjust the seats to accomodate her.

DonCig
07-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Last week I ordered and received a pair of longer adjustable handles direct from garelick. They were $11.00 each and I will be installing them next week.

DonCig

zimm17
07-31-2005, 09:09 AM
The white oval knobs are stripped out on my '88 22 classic seats. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?