PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen Injection?

harbormaster
07-22-2005, 09:20 AM
I read a story today on a New York man selling hydrogen-injection kits.

Idaho-based Hydrogen Innovations has come up with a system that uses a water tank plumbed into an electrolytic device that splits the water into hydrogen and oxygen, and then injects the gases into a vehicle’s air intake. The numbers on their website claim an average 3 to 5 percent increase in torque, and up to 25 percent increases in fuel economy, due to a leaner, more complete burn in the combustion chamber (which also reduces emissions). It all sounds good on paper, but does anyone have any thought on this?

Here is their site http://www.burnh2o.com/

joel3078
07-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Looks like a neat system.

However, the chatter before regarding adding a small amount of Acetone to the gas tank seemed like a much easier plan with also good results.
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive

Did anyone here have any good experience from testing Acetone in gas? And nope I have not tried adding Acetone yet either. Afraid of the kaching $$$$ factor if something takes a dump. I don't own a beater engine to try it on.

txtaz
07-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Well the only way to get water into hydrogen and oxygen is to superheat it or bombard it with radiation. Then you need moisture seperators to dry out the gasses. Now you have a 99.5% moisture free gas at 215-225 degrees (depending on pressure) going into the intake. I always though engines liked a cool charge. They could put an intercooler in (ohh wait we'll be back to water...LOL) Now, they could use a hydrogen/oxygen seperator and then cool it if one existed but we could still be back to a liquid depending on pressures and temps.
Sounds like pure BS to me.
Wes

gcarter
07-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Hmmm... I always thought you used electrolysis to seperate these two gases out of water.
The problem was always it took more electricity to separate them than the energy they produced.

Walt. H.
07-22-2005, 10:23 PM
All you need is two Flux Capacitors.. :garfield:
Now Back to The Future :jestera:

Ed Donnelly
07-22-2005, 10:29 PM
How many liters of oxygen and hydrogen can you extract out of 1 gal. of water? The tank only holds 1 gal. of water, and lasts(so they say) 1,500 to 2,000 miles. They say the system produces 1 liter every 4 seconds.
A rough calculation=2,000 miles@65 M.P.H. =30 hrs
1 liter every 4 secs=15 liters per min=900 liters per hr. =27,000 liters of oxygen and hydrogen in 1 gal. of water??????? Ed

onesubdrvr
07-22-2005, 10:54 PM
OK, couldn't give you the exact formula (have forgotten it after all these years), BUT, using electrolisys, I used to operate an Oxygen generator, using distilled water, it took 600vdc, 650amps was minimum prolonged operating amps and up to 1050 amps. Scary thing was, now you have Hydrogen (explosive), Oxygen (supports combustion very well), and electricity (high voltage and amperage, spark), all three BOOM? actually it was pretty safe, but the old units threw in 3000psi hydraulics to open and shut isolation valves :eek: . Any, there is newer technology out there, The one I operated was 16 6' cells, the newer ones, were only 2 slightly larger cells, made same capacity!!

Here is a thought,....
1) using exhaust gas temp,boil water off - now you have a gaseous H20 (steam)
2) as a gas, you can use a membrane to seperate the seperate elements. - I now work on a Nitrogen generator that seperates the N2 from the 02 and other crap in the air using a membrane, kinda like a small household RO unit. This one makes about 8cfm @ 90 psi.....

LOTS of ways to do it,... just got to make it small enough to work fit in and work with a car.
Wayne

gcarter
07-23-2005, 02:50 AM
How many liters of oxygen and hydrogen can you extract out of 1 gal. of water? The tank only holds 1 gal. of water, and lasts(so they say) 1,500 to 2,000 miles. They say the system produces 1 liter every 4 seconds.
A rough calculation=2,000 miles@65 M.P.H. =30 hrs
1 liter every 4 secs=15 liters per min=900 liters per hr. =27,000 liters of oxygen and hydrogen in 1 gal. of water??????? Ed

Ed, didn't you know you can believe EVERYTHING on the internet? :rlol:

:wavey:

txtaz
07-23-2005, 04:54 AM
Hmmm... I always thought you used electrolysis to seperate these two gases out of water.
The problem was always it took more electricity to separate them than the energy they produced.
Ooopppssss, My bad. I got into the steam plant mindset when answering this.
Waybe and George nailed it. I completely forgot about o2 gens. and electrolosis. But in the end still BS.
Wes