PDA

View Full Version : Any Z car owners?

2biguns
07-21-2005, 02:41 PM
I think I'm going through a mid-life crisis but know better than buy a motorcycle. I owned a 1976 280Z throughout college and law school and have the hankerin to buy another one.

I have a neighbor who has a 1977 silver automatic for sale. Only has 51,000 verified miles and is absolutely perfect. I really would prefer a 4 or 5 speed but being able to walk around the corner and buy it and not have to worry about getting in too deep on repairs and modifications is a big plus. He wants $5k. Old geezer owns it and told me today to hop in and he take me for a jaunt down the Interstate and guarantee me it would run 140 mph. I politely declined and said that I'd just have to pass for now.

I'd prefer a 2+2 from a practical standpoing so Stella can ride with us. On the other hand, I like the way the 2 seater looks better and it will force Amy and me to take some one-on-one trips (sans the baby) which would be good for us.

Any thoughts/experiences? I was within 4 seconds of buying a 2+2, 1977, 4 speed with 67,000 miles on it last night on e-bay but lost in end. I'd easily have over $5,000 in that car once I got it shipped here and got it running. The local car needs nothing except gas and a new stereo.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Steve

apollo24
07-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Steve,

My boss (UA grad) has a 280Z (maybe a 1978?) here in Mobile. It's all original, and it lived in T-town for years. I have been thinking about buying it but I don't have a garage right now, and he won't sell it to me until I get a garage.

Call him at 251-716-8119. He might part with it reasonably. I have borrowed it for days at a time (it was more reliable than my 911) and it's a sweet old ride.

His name is Bill Culberson. Tell him Ben sent you, but don't tell him I was surfing donzi.net at work :)

Cheers, BM 251-716-3531

2biguns
07-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Ben,

I talked to Bill yesterday and think I caught him by surprise. He has my number and is going to think about it. He also said to get your ass back to work :biggrin.:

I've also gotten an e-mail from the guy in New York who has the '77 2+2 that I lost on e-bay who said if the buyer has not contacted him within 24 hours he'll sell it to me. Although I don't like the way the 2+2 looks as much as the regular 2 seater, it gives my 20 month old somewhere to sit. That car has been inside since 1984 (and not cranked since then, either). We'll see.

Thanks again. I bet Mobile is nice and brisk this time of year :splat:

Steve