PDA

View Full Version : Seattle/Vancouver info needed

Eugene Nahemow
07-20-2005, 11:59 AM
I am taking a trip with my family to Seattle and Vancouver next week.
We will be spending 3-4 days in each city. My son is 14.
Any must sees, must eats, must drinks?

We will be staying in Seattle at the Alexis Hotel which is right near Pikes Place Market.
In Vancouver we will be staying at the Westin Grand on Robson Street.

Any help appreciated.

Formula Jr
07-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Some suggestions for Seattle.
You will be two blocks away from where I normally stay in Seattle.
All buses are free from with in Battery St, 6th Ave and S. Jackson St.

Eating:
Salty's on Alki IS the place to have the Saturday or Sunday Brunch. $32 dollars each and worth it- best to make resevations.
View of Harbor and food is excellent. You can take the Alki Foot ferry from Seattle Water Front to with in one block west of Salty's.
Good Hot Dogs at Taxi Dogs in the Pike Market area.
Best Thai food is in Bell Town at Bell Street and 1st Ave, south of Flying Fish resturant.

The Duck:
This is an amphibious truck ride that will take you around Seattle and across Lake Union. It starts at the Space Needle. Warning: They may ask you to sing along to a Bee Gees tune or two.

Boeing Museum of Flight:
Pretty cool history of aviation, A concord and an SR-71, plus lots of cool older planes.

Bank of America Observation deck: $7 dollars I think. A much better deal than the Space Needle Deck. 200 feet higher to boot.

Laser Light Shows at the Pacific Science Center. Come early, bring a pillow and lay on the floor like the pros..... kids will think you are way cool.

Everything is with in 30 min. walking distance from your hotel.

Blake Island: Potlatch, feast, pac coast native culture, Tillicum Village Tour through Argosy. Don't know what this costs these days. First time I ever tasted hot spiced clam juice was on this tour 29 years ago. Been a hot spiced clam juice fan ever since. :hyper:

Things that are over rated and over priced::bonk:
Science Fiction Museum. Way, way over priced.
Don't know about the Music Experience. Never went.
Space Needle Observation Deck and spinning resturant.
I just say this because I have done it. It is cool, but $$$$$ and if you want to do this you will have to have made your reservations yesterday.
Underground Seattle Tour. All talk and very little tour.
The monorail is still not running as far as I can tell.
The food on the water front is bad and overpriced except Taxi Dogs and Anthony's at the north end of the water front. The trolley is fun and $1.25.

Heres a web link with most contacts.:moped:

The Wooden Boat Museum on Lake Union will also rent you a classic rowing skiff. About $15 an hour. :boat:
They also rent sailboats, but you have to pass a test first.

http://www.tourmap.com

http://www.busmonster.com/

Lenny
07-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Take your son to the Planetarium in Vancouver, (laser light show and wild $hit) also see and eat on the top of Grouse Moutain. (sky tram and worth it, believe me.) View the city at about 3500 feet and only a few miles away from it.

OR !!!!, come to Victoria, (1 1/2 hour Ferry ride away) and we can go out in the DONZI :) and you can see ALL the Gulf Islands ( Canadian) and the San Juans (US side)

Eugene, also, you have GOT to go to Granville Island. Is about 5 minutes from Downtown, and has a wild ambience. The Ferry is about 3 minutes :rolleyes: and about 500 feet.

Call me if you need ANYTHING. :yes: I lived in Vancouver for 7 years. I know it well. I can also give you "numbers to call" if you get in trouble or need help. No worries. Lenny

:D

Seriously

And Mike Miller to boot no doubt, I will give you his number if you call me and maybe we can do a Blackhawk/ X-18 thing :D

I am ALL ears...:D call me :)

thriller
07-21-2005, 11:15 AM
:D :pizza: :D

txtaz
07-21-2005, 11:35 AM
If you head out with thriller, just remember to take your speed rated PFD... :yes:
Hey Mike, just had to rib ya, ehhhh. :beer:
Wes

Eugene Nahemow
07-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Thanks to all.
Unfortunately, we only have 3 nights to stay.
Lenny I will probably give you a call over the next day or two.

Lenny
07-21-2005, 07:38 PM
:) oh, and that Ferry to Granville Island is about 20', but it is about a 500 foot ride across the "Bay".

You can also leave from Seattle (at Pike Market) and get a high speed Cat to Victoria, (2 hours at 40-ish) and land in our Harbour, then take a Bus and Ferry from here if you like all the way into Downtown Vancouver (which is where your Hotel is.)

The Fast Cat from Seattle to here can be bought return to Seattle. Then fly out again to Cally.

Nice run

blueliner
07-22-2005, 01:29 AM
don't forget me lenny. hope u r doing well...

Lenny
07-22-2005, 01:33 AM
Oops Steve, :( ... sorry... :D

Sounds like maybe we can make a run or something ??? :)