PDA

View Full Version : Gale Banks twin turbo

v-drive
07-20-2005, 07:44 AM
I have a Gale Banks twin turbo marine set up. It will work on any engine as long as you have the 3-inch aluminum water jacketed exhaust manifolds with a 4-bolt flange.(The turbos bolt up where the risers use to). This unit cost $4500 when new, will sell for $1500. You can contact me at willettpowdercoating@msn.com or call me at 865-376-4511.

Ed Donnelly
07-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Good price. What engine were you running it on? What stage intercooler?..Ed

HallJ
07-20-2005, 12:46 PM
Could you E-mail me pics of the components?
Also do you Know what model turbos it has?
Jeff.Hall@MTS.com

Thanks,
Jeff

txtaz
07-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Ohhhhhh, I just know I could hit 75 with this...
Any adapters made for a Stainless Marine exhaust?
Wes

v-drive
07-20-2005, 10:42 PM
The model number is RAYJAY 301 E 10, They were used on a 427 chevrolet. Banks made a set-up for a race boat and ski-boat. This was the ski-boat version. It used a single carb and the intercooler is alot smaller than what the race boats used. I bought this set up 10 years ago from a guy who raced a 7-litre hydroplane style boat. He told me that the rules changed in the class he ran, and he couldn't run the turbo motor in the class that he wanted to race in. I bought it thinking that I would put it in a 18 ft flatbottom Rayson craft with a mahogany deck. Alot of things have changed in 10 years and I don't think that I will ever use them. I Thought that I would offer them to anybody on the board before I put them on e-bay. I have photos and can e-mail them but can't seem to get them on this board.

HallJ
07-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Here are the pics guys.

Pretty sweet!!!!!

Jeff

onesubdrvr
09-08-2005, 07:46 PM
OK,....

I bought this system with full intent on using it, either on this boat, or my next project boat, but I've decided not to, here's why

1) HP limitation of my Cobra drive - If I were to put this on, I would REALLY be pushing the out drive - I just had it rebuilt, and although I feel it's good for another 50 - 100hp, I don't want to push it.

2) This system is designed for a Big Block - will it work on a small block, YES, BUT,.... it will tend to build boost at lower RPM's and the housings are a little large for a SB. I wanted something that wouldn't start to build boost until 3000 rpm's or so.

3) I'm running 9.1 : 1 Compression - after considering things, I'd have to retard my timing too heavily to prevent detonation. I would need to either 1) install thick head gaskets to drop my CR, or change pistons. Also, my cam isn't a blower cam, but designed for a higher comp. ratio. for more HP.

SO, Having to do all that work to fully utilize this doesn't seem real smart to me so, I'm now going to sell this.

I took the turbo's to a turbo place in Cocoa Beach today, and was told that they are fine (good shape). So, there are no worries there - he just said he'd like to see them covered up, so I've put them in new plastic bags.

The system includes the 2 turbos, the intake plenum, the after cooler, tubing from the turbo's to the intake. A complete system except for what is listed below.

What will you need?
Well, the system has the turbo's mount on the old log style manifolds (I think 3" dia, 4 bolt, like Glenwood Marine sells) - and I believe were used pretty much on the early volvo set-ups.
ALSO, there were adapters made at one time to mount to a mercruiser riser - I haven't been able to confirm this yet, but something could be machined to do the job as well.

You'll need to drill you're oil pan to receive the oil drains

You'll need to cool the turbo's - there is several ways to do this, they make water cooled housings (if you want to spend the $), or you can manufacture you're own out of 1/2" and 1/4" tubing. OR, once again, have something machined.

The rest of the How-to is in the original included instructions. Goes through mock-up, installation, and adjusting timing curve.

Also included is a copy of the HPBooks "Turbochargers" by Hugh MacInnes. This book covers every aspect of turbocharging, including the two most important (in my opinion), carbs, and Marine applications.

In my opinion, this would be perfect for any stock (other than HO) big block (there is a 22zx in Orlando with a 454mag MPI that I was looking at that I thought this would be sweet on), or a non vortec small block (I'm not using because I'm using 64cc vortec heads, higher compression. If I hadn't just built my engine, I'd use it, and build my engine for it on the way.

Anyways, price is the same as I paid, $1500.00, plus shipping
If interested, just drop me a note

Wayne

onesubdrvr
09-12-2005, 04:25 PM
TTT once,.....

onesubdrvr
09-17-2005, 09:51 AM
To The Top Twice!!

onesubdrvr
09-21-2005, 12:17 AM
Last Time to the Top before E-Bay

turbo2256
09-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Wouldnt mind having 2 pairs of those exhaust elbows so I could keep my Nicson exhaust.