PDA

View Full Version : Water in the bilge....

synack
07-19-2005, 11:20 PM
I keep getting a small amount of water in the bilge. I haven't investigated yet as to where it could be coming from. But, if I turn on the bilge pump, it takes maybe 10-15 secs to pump out. Then I could drive around for a while, stop, and repeat the process.

The water never seems to get real excessive, but should I be concerned? My boat is a 22ZX and I do try to make sure that water doesn't wash up onto the swim platform when stopping so I don't think it's from water that gets into the vents during a stop.

mattyboy
07-20-2005, 07:06 AM
do you get water when you're a drift or just when under way???
if just under way check you speedo tube a quick test would be pump it out kick up the pick up or disconnect the tube from the pick up and give it a run see what happens

synack
07-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Now that I think about it... it may be both onder way and when I'm adrift. The last time I fired up the battery at the marina, the bilge pumped for about 10 secs...then I hit the dash bilge button and got about another 10 secs out of it. I'm thinking that it's not good.

I have a bravo 1, so my speedo pickup is built into the drive. I will check the connections for it though.

CMC
07-20-2005, 11:27 AM
How old is the boat. Check the bellows, they are know to leak. They usually go after 5-7 years. It is a leak that is sometimes hard to see.

Trueser
07-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Rob,
First try to vac all the water out of the bildge. The see if you can see it running down the transom or where its comming from. Aslo see if its worse if the drive is up all the way. I can tell you that its not RAIN water. Anyway
stop over or give me a call.

Isnt it time for you to upgrade yet?

Mike

synack
07-24-2005, 10:03 PM
What would happen to water that enters the exhaust pipes? Would it escape somewhere?

DJ13
07-25-2005, 06:23 PM
What would happen to water that enters the exhaust pipes? Would it escape somewhere?

You don't want water in your exhaust pipes, those flaps are there for a reason. I know from experience that, if it does get in when the motor isn't running, you can experience and enjoy hydro-lock! Which will make your motor behave like it has a bad starter or any number of possible electrical and/or mechanical problems. Basically the water will get trapped in a cylinder, the valves will shut upon cranking, and the trapped water will prevent the engine from turning over any further. The solution is a pain in the rear as well but if improperly diagnosed, the problem could send you down an expensive and unnecessary road of trial and error replacement parts and wasted time. I'm just guessing of course. :wink: You end up having to pull the plugs and jump the starter to get the pistons to pump out as much h2o as possible. Then reinstall the plugs and eventually get to the point where the motor starts again.

That was the l-o-n-g way of saying: AVOID LETTING/GETTING/PUTTING WATER INTO YOUR EXHAUST PIPES! :bonk:

Thank you for your time, this has been an announcement of the "that's never happened to me..." club.

John W
07-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Do you have the Captains choice exhaust system? if so Check all of the hose clamps, mine leaked like a sieve from the factory!! But i did stop all of the leaks.
JW

joseph m. hahnl
07-25-2005, 06:47 PM
water cools the exhaust gas to make it heavier and to keep the rubber hoses from melting. i would suggest you check the basics like the drain plug. does it have sealer or teflon tape. mine is a pipe thread that is why i ask. a little water is not a big deal and 10 seconds on a pump that flows 5 gals minute is probably not that much water.

joe