PDA

View Full Version : engine alignment help

smokediver
07-19-2005, 02:39 PM
I finally got the new engine in today ... what a pain in the !@# ! I didn't have to remove any accessories other than the gear lube resevoir . I used a hoist and a few come alongs to tilt the motor around . Anyway ... any tricks to getting it aligned ? i borrowed an alignment tool from a friend .Looking through the back at the coupler , it looks good but the tool isn't getting to where it needs to be ... any help is appreciated !

Sam
07-19-2005, 03:42 PM
Send Rootsy a PM he has lot's of experience in this area.

SouthernExposure
07-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Been there done that. Pain in the tail.

Apply a light film of the proper grease on the outside diameter of the tool. Slide the tool through the gimbal bearing into the coupler carefully until it bottoms out. Don't force it. Then remove the tool and look at the spline marks left in the grease. The marks should extend evenly around the diameter of the alignment tool the depth of the coupler. If not it's time to adjust the motor mounts up or down. You may also have to move the engine side to side somewhat. Try adjusting the mounts evenly. It takes time and you will build up your leg muscles climbing in and out of the boat. A second person helps. If you have new motor mounts look at you old ones and adjust the new mounts accordingly.

I'm sure there is someone on the board that can give you more details.

Good Luck,

SE

Rootsy
07-20-2005, 12:56 PM
if you can't even get the alignment tool started in the coupler spline then it is time to figure out which way the motor has to go so you can at least get it in there...

a large sum of movement at the front motor mounts (the rears are non adjustable) equals a fairly small amount at the coupler...

if you have side to side issues then you can adjust each side individually to get slight side to side alignment.

Otherwise it's what southern exposure pretty much stated.

MAKE SURE that both the top and bottom nuts on the front motor mounts are TIGHTER THAN TIGHT.. and that the locking clip is on there and you bend over as many tabs as you can.. they can and WILL come loose and your alignment will change... which is bad for couplers, splines, gimble bearings, u-joints... all kinds of stuff...

if it was me and i could not get it "started" i would first eyeball it from straight on... generally you can see if the splines are going uphill or downhill... secondly i'd gently insert the alignment tool.. i tend to use merc spline grease(the dark blue THICK heavy stuff) on the end of the tool... push in gently til it stops, retract STRAIGHT OUT.. do not twist the tool... and see where you are hitting.. if it is on the bottom.. you need to go up.. if it is on the top it needs to go down... the end of the tool has a radius or chamfer cut on it and it should contact and you'll see the grease marked on that area...

JR

Sam
07-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Jamie, your instructions reminded me of a biology class I took once.......... opps did just say that :eek: . I knew we could count on you Dr.Root.

Sam :D

blackhawk
07-20-2005, 03:06 PM
And remember you can move the gimbal bearing!!!

If your boat doesn't have a serpentine belt I used the power steering belt and put it around the crank and then hooked it to the chainfall. This allowed the motor to be picked up from the CENTER and "float".

I wrestled with mine for over an hour and a half, climbing in and out of the boat. My friend told me about the belt trick and I was done 10 minutes later!

Greg
07-20-2005, 06:28 PM
All the advice given above is RIGHT ON. I had the same trouble getting my alignment tool in after installing the motor. My mech had a piece of pipe that was just a hair smaller than the end of the alignment tool so that it would just fit in the coupler slightly loose. By looking at the angle of the pipe sticking out you can tell if you need to go up or down. Hope this helps. Good Luck

smokediver
07-20-2005, 07:12 PM
thanks for all the help .. i can get it in ... it is just sticking bad on the way out .. hopefully it will all be better tomorrow ..!

gcarter
07-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Blackhawk is right, the gimbal bearing is a spherical bearing and it can get out of alignment w/ the rest of the gimbal. Stick the end of the tool in the bearing and move it up/down and sideways, make sure it's aligned w/ the coupler.

Voodoocanoe
07-20-2005, 09:15 PM
And when it is all aligned and tight, take a paint pen(yellow,white etc) and draw a vertical line from the top nut over the mount and on to the lower nut so you can see at a glance if anything has loosened up.

MOP
07-23-2005, 10:16 AM
A little late but may be of some help.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33750