PDA

View Full Version : More on the Donzi styled Cobalt's from 1969

Craig
07-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Jim G.'s Cobalt (Donzi Corsican copy) post reminded me, since I hadn't looked at the site a lot lately, I had not yet posted anything about a cool find I came across earlier this year.

I was looking at my new issue of Boating World magazine (back in March) and, as always, I went, to the last page to look at Lee Wangstad's Classic Boat article.

To my surprise, there was an article on a Cobalt XV-200, the Sweet 16 Donzi copy (as some of you know, that's what my boat is).

After reading, I sent a letter and a picture of mine to Lee Wangstad and 2 months later (May 2005 issue -- pg. 12), there was a short piece about my boat (basically my letter re-printed).

They made a couple typos (like I didn't say mine "has" sports green striping, I said mine "sports" green striping. an expression like "sporting a new haircut") but hey - I'm not complaining. I thought it was just cool having my boat in a magazine.

Anyway, here's a link to the one article for those interested and a picture of both below.

http://www.boatingworldonline.com/News.htm?CD=1044&ID=4029

Tells a little more history of the boat.

penbroke
07-19-2005, 07:56 PM
I saw both the article and your letter when they were published. Very cool boats indeed. I'd like to see one in person someday.

Congrads on the publicity and thanks for posting them.

Frank :anchor:

Craig
07-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Thanks Frank - This will sould funny, but I too would like to see one "in person" other than my own.

Despite finding a growing handful of other boats (mostly on the web), I've never actually seen another one "in person", just pictures.

It seems "most" of them got distributed in the mid-west (with a few exceptions I've found). Somehow mine made it out to my location in western Maryland back as early as 1976. That's when I first saw the boat, like Wade Silzer in the BW article, at a dealership.

Bought it about 9 years later and that was 20 years ago this summer. Whoa! I'm getting old.

An interesting tid bit that I never knew before the article was that, according to Pack St. Clair's statement (1st article), they never got to the point of selling even one boat.

They were distributed to dealers as demos and over time, eventually sold to individuals like me. Interesting that the old March 1970 Powerboat Mag. article I've posted here before had a price tag listed with all the specs and information, but they never actually (apparently) made it to the point of selling any when production stopped.

There were only 40 of the XV-200's (like mine) built and I've heard even less of the GT-500's built (GT-500's being the Donzi Corsican copies Jim G. posted about earlier).

Craig S
07-26-2005, 09:23 PM
Great article. Congrats!

J&K SHAHBAS
08-01-2005, 03:49 PM
I have a original sales brousure for the early xv 200 and 500 and also it
shows a flat bottom vdrive they were selling at the time let me know if you dont already have these and Ill send some color copies to you.

John

Craig
08-04-2005, 09:06 PM
John - Thanks for the offer. I do have one of the old catalogs too. Cobalt sent it to me many years ago when I wrote to them about my boat. Those flat bottom V-drives are awesome too!

GONZO
10-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Hey There Colbalt Donzi Owners

I Have A 1970 Colbalt "donzi"

351 Cleveland V Drive

Would Be Interested In Selling To A Good Home

Any Interest???????????????

GONZO
10-10-2007, 09:22 AM
CRAIG

I HAVE A 1970 COBALT DONZI 351 CLEVELAND V DRIVE HAVENT
SEEN ANY OTHER V DRIVES IN THE DONZI HULL DESIGN

I MAY BE INTERESTED IN SELLING

ANY INTEREST?????????

GONZO
WSIE273425@AOL.COM

chappy
10-10-2007, 04:08 PM
CRAIG
I HAVE A 1970 COBALT DONZI 351 CLEVELAND V DRIVE HAVENT
SEEN ANY OTHER V DRIVES IN THE DONZI HULL DESIGN
I MAY BE INTERESTED IN SELLING
ANY INTEREST?????????
GONZO
WSIE273425@AOL.COM

Welcome to the board. I think your boat would generate some interest. Try posting a thread in the "Other boats for sale" section. Pictures are worth 1K words. Intrigued by the V drive by the way.

Good luck,

Rich

GONZO
11-01-2007, 02:45 PM
POSTED SOME TIME AGO RE MY 1970 COBALT 351 CLEVELAND V DRIVE
ONE OF THE READERS CONTACTED ME REQUESTING PICTURES

PLEASE RE CONTACT ME AT WSIE273425@AOL.COM I AM INTERESTED
IN FINDING A GOOD HOME FOR MY BOAT

THANKS
GONZO