PDA

View Full Version : Props for sbc TRS X18?

Dregsz
07-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Hi,
How is your X 18 (or 2+3) propped w a TRS outdrive?
How much HP do you need to turn it?
What is your top RPM?

I picked up a 76 X18 w 280 TRS last week, (the black, California, ebay boat), Now I'm trying to get it set up before this weekend's Portland Poker Run.

I'm swapping in a Crower, solid, flat tappet circle track cam and dual plane (Weiand Stealth) intake this week, should put it in the 350 hp range.

I'm going to test a 23P Mirage in about an hour.

The 19P factory Cleaver is not the ideal prop for this boat and I doubt the 21P cleaver is either, (both came w the boat)

Thanks
Evan

BUIZILLA
07-18-2005, 07:53 PM
I think your cam choice is wayyyyyy out in left field.. that'll be a waste of time.

Jim

DonCig
07-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Evan, congratulations on your new Donzi. I would suggest that you run the boat as equipped for a few months. Make a list of everthing that needs repaired, and then make a list of what you would like to change. Then fix the things that need fixin, and drive the boat all summer. The California rainy season is the time for new cams and the like.

DonCig

Dregsz
07-19-2005, 01:30 AM
I think your cam choice is wayyyyyy out in left field.. that'll be a waste of time.

Jim

Hmmm,
lots of torque from 2000- 6000 rpm, redlines at 7000 giving lots of room to add pitch and prop it down into the low 6000 range.

May be a small improvement over the cam that's in there which is barely swinging a 19P cleaver 5500 rpm, oh, and I have it right here already.
Given the heads are on the motor, and I can't pull them and machine larger diameter valve seats to fit a roller cam for the time being, it seems to make reasonable sense to me, to just give a moderate motor a little bump, when I get around to building it a serious motor, I'll get a little more serious about it.

Yeah your right, it's a crap idea, what cam are you running?
And what was it I'm supposed to want the cam to do?

Good thing this was a prop thread and not a cam thread, or I'd be compelled to defend my cam choice.

Dregsz
07-19-2005, 02:03 AM
How are you fitting a Mirage on the Volvo?? Havent ever seen a 17 spline Flo Torq, is it a new item??[/QUOTE]

Volvo???

This is a long legged Merc 280 TRS

I thought 6000 RPM is ok in a TRS drive
E