PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Speed Skiff

TOPSY II
07-14-2005, 07:33 PM
OK BOYZ ! This is a boat I am more than a little familiar with...Growing up in "JOISY" as I did ( more years ago than I care to admit..George Carter...NO COMMENTS PLEASE!!!) This is a SERIOUSLY FAST BOAT...I know...I own one..and mine only does 85!MPH and it's a worked 283 Dyno'd at 415 HP..

Flat bottomed, adjustable cav. plate..it will definitely stay with pretty much anything on the water..( if you've got the "NADS" for it)..It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!! RUSTNROT...saw you bidding...Good Luck...maybe we can show up at the same place with all our toys!!

e:bay # 4561483338 Power Boats under 20'

Check out the speedskiff.com web site...great history.

TOPSY II

80' Bender JS-74
'86 Minx #59 :beer:

BUIZILLA
07-14-2005, 08:46 PM
I wish I hadn't seen this post.... :lookaroun

JH

pmreed
07-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Jim, seems like we had this conversation on the Lakeside Inn porch. I remember what you said!! Look Again>>> Bad Nasty Fast Skiff!! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4561483338) :biggrin.: :biggrin.: Hmmmm, wonder how she'd work as a lake boat?

Phil

boldts
07-15-2005, 08:04 AM
That is sooooooo cool. Got to see these type boats race up in Detroit, MI as part of the Thunderfest Hydroplane races a few years back. Also, I can't remember the members name, but in the Midwest Donzi Club members list, under NC, there is a man who joined from the Lake Wylie area who builds Speed Skiffs. Offered to give me a ride in one, but I've never gotten down and taken the time to find his shop to experience a JS in person. Sometimes maybe I should slow down and smell the roses. Good luck on the sale.

TOPSY II
07-15-2005, 10:52 AM
There are actually more of these boats in central fla. than there are in N.J.!!

They have a number of "gatherings"/poker runs..and outings virtually all year long...check out the web site...SPEEDSKIFFS.COM look up outings/events etc. ALL these guys ( and girls) love to show em off! getting a ride "AIN'T HARD"...try not to grin...bugs are hard to get off your teeth!!

The web site has some great pics..boats/outings/races etc. I don't know which boat I love more..the Minx or the Skiff...My wife says "GROW UP"..I say "why?"

As for lake boats..they're a blast...I run mine on Allatoona, Lanier etc. , once the owners no longer race them, they usually stick a bigger tank in the transom..19 -22 gal. range, so you can play longer...the race ready boats come with 10-11 gals. and some times that doesn't get em around the course three times!!

TOPSY II

:lookaroun

rustnrot
07-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Hey, Topsy, any chance you are coming to the Lake Thurmond Donzi meet later this month? ...And what would it take to bring the skiff!!????!!!!!! yesyoucan and myself have ridden in these but want to DRIVE one.

picklefish
07-15-2005, 05:07 PM
The New Hampshire Boat Museum has a web site with links to lots of pics of Jersey Speed Skiffs in prop riding action, plus lots of vintage race boats. I've never gotten a look at the modern glass ones but I remember reading about the original wooden lapstrake ones in some book about race hull designs back in the 60's. Supposedly the keel was designed to act like a concave pad to trap air, sort of like a Lyman but with the keel removed and replaced with a flat plank and the strakes on both side of the keel forming a shallow tunnel.

TOPSY II
07-16-2005, 09:02 AM
RUSTnROT: If...big if..my new tank arrives in time, I'd be more than happy to drag the Skiff over...have a 20 gal on order to replace the original..which finally died after 25 years...( Geez..doesn't ANYTHING last anymore :biggrin.: )

Send me a private e;mail and we can have a chat.

BTW: There's a guy in Thunderbolt, Ga. (Dave Yeager), SE BOATWORKS, who still builds skifffs...glass hulls, mahogany decks and transoms...truly things of beauty...He raced them for years..apparently very successfully, he's quite a character. He's "modernized" them some, trim controls in the wheel, adjustable cavitation plates ( the old ones had to be adjusted by hand in between races).

Some even have seating and storage under the front compartment..making them a bit more like "River Boats" as they called them back in the 50's and early 60's..Hell of a ride up there at 60MPH +!! not for the faint of heart!

Even if the tank doesn't make it in time, I'd be more than happy to give ya some "wheel time" when it does get finished..Dave's gonna due some work on it this winter..refinish the deck, beef up the stringers etc....but before winter sets in I'm sure we'll have time for you and yesyoucan to get some "grin time"

Pete

TOPSY II :beer: & :pretzel: :pretzel: