PDA

View Full Version : Revolution 4 prop

mphatc
07-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Anyone ever heard of these,or run one on an 18'?

Mario

smokediver
07-14-2005, 07:30 AM
I think they are more for elevated prop heights ... Like an outboard with a jack plate .. there are an awful lot of action crafts around here running that prop ... I was thinking about grabbing one from the marina down the road from me and giving it a whirl ...

RickSE
07-14-2005, 10:58 AM
I ran two Revolution-4 props on my old 18. I liked the Revolution-4 but in the end stuck with a Mirage+. I was in the process of changing a 2-barrel motor over to a 4-barrel w/cam and thought I'd try a 4-blade. At the time the Merc. rep. and Lee G. (the prop guy) at Donzi were both suggesting it would be a good application.

I went back to the Mirage+ for the speed. In the end the best props for my application were a 21P Mirage+ and 19P R-4. WOT RPM's were about the same for both but the M+ was slightly faster. The R-4 accelerated a little better, had better handling and had lower slip numbers.

The R-4 is a good prop. It just bites really hard in the water so you have to make sure it's pitched correctly for your application.

I have prop specific speed vs. RPM data sheets at home that Lee did for me back in 2000. I'll bring them in tomorrow and post.

boldts
07-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Haven't had any experience with the Revolution 4 Mario, but Joe P from GA who had a 22 Classic that I believe he has since sold ran that prop on his Classic and liked it although again, it wasn't the fastest prop for the boat.

DonCig
07-15-2005, 07:07 PM
When the Rev 4 was developed, it was done for single engine stern drives in the 20 something foot range. Mainly designed to aid the performance in slightly under powered situations.

The prop can handle any power you want to throw at it. Originally it only came in sizes to 23 pitch. Because it worked so well, we decided to offer it up to 25 pitch. The prop is a great 4bl alternative for those who can't turn the Bravo 1's.

Its diameter is only 14 5/5" which allows the stern to settle more actually aiding in bow lift. It is a high rake aggressive blade design. Very fast on the right hull. The blades are fashioned after the Tempest propeller.

We would need to work the prop to gain rpm over your 23 Mirage.

RickSE
07-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Better late then never.

I believe the first sheet was an estimate and second was actual for the 21P R-4.

I ended up getting a 21P Mirage+ to 58-59 MPH.

DonCig
10-24-2005, 10:47 PM
The following is an excerpt from Offshore Only by Brett Anderson of BBlades.

When we, (I was still at Merc), came out with the Revolution 4, it was designed for single engine 20 something foot Bravo, Alpha boats. Boats that were powered just right or slightly under powered. Boats that needed help getting on plane, help in the mid range and a prop that wouldn't deteriorate the top end too badly. Because of that thought process, we only offered RH rotation in 19-23 inches of pitch. In fact, the propellers weren't even listed as an application option in the 1998-1999 propeller dealer guide even though they were mentioned in the beginning of the book. Once we saw the benefits to the propeller expanded the line down to 15" of pitch and offered both rotations. This summer 25 pitch was made available also. Prior to leaving Mercury Racing, I was lobbying for pitch offerings as high as 27. Obviously I didn't get my wish.

Of course they won't work on every application, but they have their appropriate place in the performance boating arena.

Sam
10-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Funny you should ask about the Rev 4, I just spoke to Brett at BBlades yesterday about other 4 bladed props other than the Hydromotive. I'm currently runing a 24.5" hydro OT and it gives me to much stern lift. After talking to Bret he seems to think the the Rev 4 mght just work for my set up.

The only problem is I just pulled the boat last weekend so any testing will have to wait until spring :( . I will tell you this, I was very impressed with Brett and his willingness to spend time with me knowing full well I won't be in a position to do anything for a while. One other thing, Brett said that they have a great loaner program where you pay for shipping and the prop is yours for a week or so to play with...............can't beat that.

Sam

DonCig
10-25-2005, 09:01 PM
Sam, I am going to Bretts facility in about 3 weeks. I will post a call report.

Don