PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice RE My 16

dr
07-13-2005, 07:39 AM
I have a 1995 16 Classic with a 4.3 LX MerCrusier with an Alpha 1 drive. It has low hours and has been babied in terms of how it is driven and cared for. However about the only kind of maintenance I have done on it is annual oil and out drive fluid changes and keeping it well lubricated…with a few exceptions. It runs well with no noticeable problems.

I plan to keep this boat for the long run and was wondering what kind of work should I be doing to keep it reliable and in top running order? Should belts and hoses be changed? Adjustments? Other fluids? Other?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

David

Rootsy
07-13-2005, 08:37 AM
sterndrive should be pulled each year, engine alignment, u-joints and gimble bearings inspected. when changing gear oil in the drive take the time to have it vacuum and pressure checked to verify the integrity of the seals. Check your motor mounts to make sure they are tight. as for belts, make sure the tension is correct on them and keep an eye on them for wear or damage. Replace the water seperator each year also. Grease the gimble bearing, gimble ring pivot pins and the coupler as well as propshaft splines. keep an eye on your circulating pump on front of the motor for water weeping out of the weep hole (tells you that the seal is bad). keep all electrical connections coated with an anti corrosion inhibitor. replace or clean the fuel screen in the carb where the fuel line enters it. Replace the cap and rotor every year or two. some folks go so far as to replace spark plugs each year... if it is low use i wouldn't really go that far...

when you winterize make sure your add a fuel treatement to the fuel left in the tank and the engine is run long enough to get that treated fuel into the carburetor.

just some Preventative maintenance :)

JR