PDA

View Full Version : 1987 29' donzi project

BiteEmNBeatEm
07-13-2005, 01:22 AM
I have the opportunity to buy a '87 29' donzi hull minus cap and floor for 200 bucks. It was an offshore fishing boat project that never go done. I know a guy who does fiberglass work on boats and can do it for me cheap. My question to ya'll guys is if any one has redone a donzi and converted it into a center console, also if ya'll feel that it is worth it. I want to set up the twin outboard bracket for o/b's but just curious on ya'lls feedback. Thanks

Donzigo
07-13-2005, 07:32 AM
Welcome to the board!

I think you could find a number of people to give you $400 for it, as it is, and then you can double your money. There aren't many 100% profit investments around these days. How can you loose?

Ray Runge
07-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Run away

It would be alot cheaper to buy a complete boat.

The deck is an integral part of the structural rigidity of the hull.

In my opinion When you get done you you will have alot of money in a boat that no one will want because it will not really be a Donzi. For all intents and purposes it will be a home built boat.

I oughta know.

BiteEmNBeatEm
07-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Okay, i have come to the point where i realize that it will cost more than a used running boat, but I can't just drop that amount to buy a running boat and would hate to take out a loan. I wan't to be able to build the boat and to add the boat as funds come in. My biggest concern is building the up the gunnels on the sides (especialy towards the rear because this is where it comes down lower) building the front deck (plain but nice, with some storage, dont need the aft cabin, too much work. What kind of materials do i use? has any one done such a project to convert a z29 donzi into a Center Console outboard?

sparepartz
07-23-2005, 10:52 PM
I say go for it- If its in your budget and you know a guy to help you through it why not! a cap and floor is all you need. I would bring the level all the way across the transom,getting rid of that low notchy part.your redoing the transom anyway so make it nice and strong.stick a (flotation?) dual engine bracket on and a some good price outboards and keep it simple. and at $200 the starting point is pretty good for a 29 foot donzi. I think it would be cool!!!

Donzigo
07-23-2005, 11:05 PM
If you got a lot of time & money, or just went through a divorce and need to swear off women for about 5 years, you got a great project.

mattyboy
07-24-2005, 07:12 AM
somewhere out of the deep dark wilderness is heard the call of the rare candy cane pink flamingo................whoooooooodiditannnnnnrann nnnnn :p

Mr X
07-24-2005, 07:31 AM
IMHO, I would RUN from it!

It would be easier to build one from scratch!

harbormaster
07-24-2005, 07:44 AM
I have to agree with Ted.

I can guarantee that you will really regret it.

You usually realize your mistake when you have sunk too much money in it to walk away from it But you will need to sink more into it to finish it.

Its a really bad feeling.

Focus the time you would use working on that junker to work a second job to get the money to buy a good running boat.

Cuda
07-24-2005, 07:46 AM
I hate to say it, but I'd charge him $400 to haul it to the dump. Run.

BUIZILLA
07-24-2005, 07:56 AM
determine how much money you THINK it will take to finish it....

put that money in a paper bag...

walk out on your local pier, and toss it in the water....

walk away.....

that's the same feeling, when you THINK your done with it.

JH

Donzigo
07-24-2005, 07:21 PM
The more I look at that picture, the more SKEERED I get for ya.......OMG........what a project. It's kinda like they say: "If you got somebody you really hate, go buy them and car for $400 and GIVE it to them". They'll think, oh cool, a FREE car. But, it'll drive them crazy, they'll sink a ton of bucks in it, then they'll realize too late, that you got the best of em and you're sitting down at Hooters with your pals laughing you tail off, while he's pluggng away trying to get his FREE car running.

gcarter
07-24-2005, 07:26 PM
I been thinking about this and the only way this could be a winner is if you owned a cherry 29 that somehow ran aground and destroyed the hull. Then it might be a good doner hull to restore the existing boat.

mattyboy
07-24-2005, 07:55 PM
put sum gravy on that sum bitch and git rrrrr dun

u could throw 10 large at that boat and it would still look like a $200 boat

then paint a big DON'TZI on the side , run don't walk from this one

BiteEmNBeatEm
07-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Okay, Okay.... I get ya'll guys point, Don't buy it. By the way gcarter do you have a 29 donzi that ran abord to screw up the hull for sale for 200 aswell. LOL well I guess thanks. Kinda broke my heart knowing that was my closest chance to owning a 29' boat. But i did find an older Grady White 255 thats minus power that i may buy.