PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Appliances - Hard to Maintain?

Ranman
07-13-2005, 12:21 AM
In looking at my kitchen options for our new house build, the standard appliances provided by the builder just won't cut it. The best value upgrade offered includes a stainless finish on the range, microwave and dishwasher. Also, I will have to buy a matching fridge. I want to know from people who own or have owned stainless appliances what their thoughts are regarding keeping them nice and fingerprint free. They look nice, but are they a pain to maintain?

P.S. I have to take one of the options provided by the builder as they will not give me an allowance on the appliances.

Rootsy
07-13-2005, 06:29 AM
my sister and brother in law have all stainless appliances and every time i am there they are spotless... they've had them for about 2 years now. The new home has a stainless fridge and dish washer.. and eventually will have a matching stove... so this is of interest to me also...

JR

synack
07-13-2005, 06:41 AM
All of my kitchen appliances are stainless. They will definitely show fingerprints more readily than most other appliance surfaces other than glass.

There's quite a few cleaner options where you just spray and wipe. They clean the surface and remove all fingerprints.

One of the more interesting things I've tried in the past is to put baby oil on the stainless. This makes the surface quite fingerprint resistant. Oddly enough, I read about this in the owners manual for my GE Arctica fridge.

With all of the appliances, you normally touch the handles so you don't usually get too many prints on the stainless.

Dr. Dan
07-13-2005, 08:09 AM
:smash: Randy...Liz and I just had to get a new Frig...about 3 weeks ago, who woulda thought it was filled with soooo many different options? Anyway, our place is a work in progress also, so when an Appliance gives up the ghost I try to go with a more "State of the Art" version of todays offerings. We ended up with a Model KSRP25F Side By Side from Kitchen Aid, and I did get Stainless. The Dealer gave us a solution to use for prints....it is listed as a Stainless Steel Cleaner & Polish. Last year we did the Dishwasher and went with a Black Glass Whirlpool...next will be the Gas Range.... :spongebob

The Frig definitely shows prints, if it doesn't its cuz its either never used except by Surgeons or it is constantly wiped down... it's not obnoxious...just different, in reality... if ya think about it... a darker finish would hide the dirt visually and give you and Jen the impression that it was cleaner than it actually was? :spongebob

Fact is I use that when selling Carpet...ya wanna be able to tell when it gets dirty or you're gonna be living in it. The Design Statement and Crisp Finish of the Stainless Look is impressive if you are going for that look. We love ours, the water filter feature allows super tasting drinking water right from the Door.
I am amazed at how it does taste...the filter is housed below the door line and is a Cartridge Cylinder...very high tech...

Anyway... I love it... gotta have the Bling in my life...even in my Frig..

Doc of Soap Box Appliance True Lies :beer:

blueliner
07-13-2005, 08:22 AM
wd-40 works great 4 cleaning stainless appliances. that is what i use and they look great.

TuxedoPk
07-13-2005, 08:27 AM
Randy, I've got a stainless kitchen as also- fingerprints and constant cleaning are a way of life. But you do tend to have a cleaner kitchen which is a good thing.

One thought though, you might want to consider a wood insert for the dishwasher or refridge to begin to warm up the room rather than over-blinging it. Unless your kitchen is EXTREMELY large, all stainless appliances can easily overpower the room when it's all put together.

IMO, I'd suggest avoiding having two large stainless appliances adjacent to each other. If you're going stainless definately go with a double stainless bottom mounted sink to finish the look.

JimG
07-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Check with the manufacturer, some have an option for "satin" finish that does not show prints.

I just bought a new Kenmore Elite fridge this weekend, but in glossy white (to match the other appliances). Janet thought I'd lost my mind, but I waxed it with Collinite. Man, what a shine! Like it so much I waxed everything else in the kitchen. If the dog hadn't have run, I'd have waxed him too! :yes:

gcarter
07-13-2005, 10:21 AM
We've been looking at appliances at the local Home Depot Expo, all the SST appliances look pretty dirty every time we've been there. Probably like if you had kids.

McGary911
07-13-2005, 11:14 AM
I have a stainless range, and "stainlessed" my diswasher myself. Had a new one that i didnt want to get rid of, and had a supplier cut me 2 inserts for the front. Looks factory. I guess fingerprints are a bit more prevalent than on other stuff. I'm a bachelor and live alone so i dont cook all that much. If you had kids, i'd think the problem would be worse....just more wiping. Kids love touching stuff, right? I like the TXPK's idea that more wiping of prints keep the place cleaner. Lord knows i need that......Ill get a refrigerator next, after i do a kitchen remodel

Bob
07-13-2005, 11:46 AM
One nice thing about stainless is it does away with "Refridgerator Art". The kitchen looks neater and less cluttered with out all the stuff stuck on it.
I put a piece of galvanized sheet steel on the inside of a big kitchen cabinet to use with magnets for the school schedule etc.