PDA

View Full Version : Power trim indicator not working, need ideas

Donzi LG
07-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey all, I'm new to the forum after purchasing my first Donzi, a 2001 22ZX. My power trim indicator is not functioning, I hope you can give me some ideas on where to begin troubleshooting. The drive trim is working, just the indicator is not registering any movement. Could this be as simple as a blown fuse? These are the factory drive and trim indicators. I'd like any words of wisdom from all you experts regarding this! :cool:

Donzigo
07-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Welcome to the board!

Those indicators just don't work, or they don't work long, especially in salt. If you repair it, which is on the side of the outdrive, it will just break again after a short time. Get a cable driven indicator with Livorsi sldie gauge on the dash. That will be the 100% answer for you.

Donzi LG
07-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Welcome to the board!

Those indicators just don't work, or they don't work long, especially in salt. If you repair it, which is on the side of the outdrive, it will just break again after a short time. Get a cable driven indicator with Livorsi sldie gauge on the dash. That will be the 100% answer for you.

Thanks for the welcome and the info; the boat did spend the first few hours of its life in salt water so that's a definite possibility. That's good to know that they are not that reliable in general and I don't have something odd going on. Not a big issue overall, I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this boat! Thanks again for the heads up!

John

RickR
07-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Try taking the sender apart, cleaning and regreasing. Not sure if it is the one on the right or left side. The other is your drive limit switch.

Formula Jr
07-14-2005, 01:10 AM
The indicator is on the starboard side of the drive. They respond well to cleaning, but if the sending wires are broken, its a major job to restring them.
Its just a wound wire slide resistor.

Donzigo
07-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Ditto on what's been said.

I've cleaned and repaired mine a few times over the years, all with the same results; but, I'm 100% in salt.

Since you are in the "honeymoon-phase", it doesn't seem right to tell you this. But, the real test of boat ownership is to get a foot high stack of $50 bills, sit on a block of solid ice, in your shower. Roll those $50 up in little rolls and stuff them down the drain. If you're still havening fun when the ice is melted, you're a boater, for sure......:-)

Good luck.

joseph m. hahnl
07-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Ditto on what's been said.

I've cleaned and repaired mine a few times over the years, all with the same results; but, I'm 100% in salt.

Since you are in the "honeymoon-phase", it doesn't seem right to tell you this. But, the real test of boat ownership is to get a foot high stack of $50 bills, sit on a block of solid ice, in your shower. Roll those $50 up in little rols and stuff them down the drain. If you're still havening fun when the ice is melted, you're a boater, for sure......:-)

Good luck.

i'd rather spend the $50's on the boat. all power toys require maintanence. i have snowmobiles, mopeds. motorcycles, outboard, in board out/ board, go cart.van, car and trailers. and at any given moment, one or all of them are broken, and need work. once you get the bugs out. the boat will allways be the best place to sink your doe!!!!!! that why you get two. when one does'nt work you hop in the other.