PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump for a Chevy BB

gold-n-rod
07-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Here's my deal..... My Merc 454 (the base 300 hp at the prop) started on the muffs for the first time this season, burned the fuel that I poured in the filter/separator, and then quit. No amount of cranking and throttle pumping will bring her to life. I pulled off the gas line at the carb (where it goes into the filter) and it's dry as a bone.

Although I suppose the check valve in the fuel line is plugged (not likely, they usually stick open, I'm told) I think it's time for a new fuel pump.

I'd prefer not to get hosed by buying a Mercruiser part unless there is a real good reason. To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing special to a marine fuel pump (mechanical, BTW) like there is for carbs, distributors or alternators.

If I decide to get an automotive part, what do I tell the parts goon? These days, it seems like all the parts data bases need a year make and model to even get to a parts list.

Can anyone help?

MOP
07-12-2005, 02:56 PM
WRONG the marine fuel mechanical fuel pump has dual diaphragms and a line that leads to the carb that if the diaphragm blows it will flood out the engine rather then wipe out the bearings in the engine from gad dilution. You can get one fairly cheap of Ebay, but get marine not worth screwing around.

GKricheldorf
07-12-2005, 03:49 PM
When i rebuilt my 454 i used the Holley Red Marine pump - Jegs performance parts has them at $114 - part #510-712-801-1 - you may be able to find them cheaper.

specs

''Red'' Standard Pressure Pump
Ideal for ''street'' or performance water applications and is pre-set to approximately 7 psi. It will flow 67 gph and maintain a 5 psi line pressure. Free-flow capacity is 97 gph. This pump does not require a regulator. (Includes check valve and filter screen). Not for use with alcohol.
The Marine Red Standard Pressure Pump meets U.S. Coast Guard regulations

MOP
07-12-2005, 08:26 PM
If you want to switch to electric I have two spare Merc pumps, $35 would need to know in the next two hours. I am off to the 1K run won't be back until the 20th, I could throw one in the Sub and ship from up there.

Phil

gold-n-rod
07-12-2005, 09:08 PM
If you want to switch to electric I have two spare Merc pumps, $35 would need to know in the next two hours. I am off to the 1K run won't be back until the 20th, I could throw one in the Sub and ship from up there.

Phil

Thanks for the very kind offer, Phil. I think I'll stay with the mechanical. The wiring is something I'd prefer not to have to mess with.

Enjoy your 1K Lakes adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!