PDA

View Full Version : Difference between classic 16 & 18

rylz
07-12-2005, 12:08 PM
I have a friend that has a 1997 16 footer for sale. It has around 200 hrs on it, with the large V8. I loved the boat, but he wants 15,000.00 for it. I was wondering what the difference between the 16 and the 18.
Thanks

boatnut
07-12-2005, 12:13 PM
2 feet :) , had to try to be first with that, length and seating arrangement is really only difference. The ride (sea handling abilities) in my experience are
significant -- the 18 is a nicely balanced package, the 16 needs a little more length --- of course I have also owned a 22 and the 18 gets my nod over the 22 also, except in looks where the 22 excels. Having said that, I have not met many 16 owners that did not thoroughly enjoy their boats -- all the classics are fun!!

gold-n-rod
07-12-2005, 01:38 PM
What kind of water to you wish to run? If you are planning to run in an inland lake with predictible wave and wind patterns AND you don't have an army who wants a boat ride, the 16 is a fun ride. Big grins.

However, if you are looking at a lake churning 3 footers or more..... or lots of wind and other boats' wakes, the extra 2 feet will make all the difference in the world. Also, you can much easier carry 3 others along and hear less complaints.

Think of the 16 as more like a PWC than a boat and you'll get the picture (I mean that in the most loving way). The 18 will be more "boatlike."

Of course, I like the smooth look of the 16's hatch as opposed to the lumpy hatch on the 18..... but that's just me.

In the proper environment, either boat is as much fun as you can stand on the water.

boatnut
07-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Of course, I like the smooth look of the 16's hatch as opposed to the lumpy hatch on the 18..... but that's just me.

I don't understand ?? Can you please explain this difference? thks, Ed

gold-n-rod
07-12-2005, 01:59 PM
I don't understand ?? Can you please explain this difference? thks, Ed

Depending on the year, the hatch has a raised section to clear the carb (or throttle body) and flame arrestor. The models from the 90's seemed to have a much larger "hump", but the later models have 'em, too, just a lil' less noticeable.

If you go to the Boats For Sale section, look up a couple of 18's and you'll see what I mean.