PDA

View Full Version : Second thoughts

onesubdrvr
07-11-2005, 09:48 PM
As many of you know, I've been looking at "other" boats, most recently a 1980 20' Shamrock.

My biggest issue is that I seem to have made the Regazza too much of a go fast and not enough of a Family boat. So I started looking at bigger Donzi's (a couple of Doral's, etc.), but decided that even they may not be open enough, so I started looking at more open boats, and something that would be more fishable (the girls are telling me they want me to take them fishing).

BUT, now I'm having second thoughts. I've really dumped alot of work into the Regazza, and I love it. It's not the money, for example, when I changed jobs recently, I took a slight drop in pay, but I'm happier. I MADE MY REGAZZA, picked out all the engine parts, did most of the engine work (short of machining / long block assembly), I re-did my interior myself, and even did the repairs after beating it up during the AngelAID poker run, but, I have to be a one boat guy - and I'm having second thought about getting rid of it. I'm within days of making an offer on the Shammie, and find myself torn.

Please help with input,......

Those that have seen my boat with the new interior, or even prior,.... what do you think?

Anyone?

Confused in Florida,
Wayne

txtaz
07-11-2005, 10:07 PM
No offense to anyone, but a Shamrock would be on the bottom of my list. Why not make what you have work. We'd love to have a 70 MPH boat with lots of cockpit space and a V berth. She wants a toilet and shower. But it's kinda hard to do in an 18. So we jump overboard, cover up with towels on the back bench and enjoy the 70MPH, soon to be 75....I have a secret.
Wes

penbroke
07-11-2005, 10:13 PM
What 'Poodle said.

Easy on the hole shots and keep the prop in the water and the drive should hold up if that's wht you're worried about.

Frank

onesubdrvr
07-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Why isnt the Rag a family boat anymore??

IMO, keep it.. It can fish, it can cruise, it can tube... And, it's paid for...
I'll admit,

it can cruise, it can raft up,

I've never tried to fish off of it, and would LOVE to hear recommendations as to how to set it up for fishing

It can tube - I guess I need to try some more props, not quite comfortable with the current planing speed (about 25), my kids are still kinda young.

It's paid for,....no arguing that, but whatever I'd get would be as well.

quick list of + on the Regazza
1) Paid for
2) Rebuilt engine
3) Rebuilt outdrive
4) Re-done (80%) interior
5) it makes me :biggrin.:

+ on other boats (cc / wac / cf)
1) more "roaming" room for family my size
2) more fish friendly
3) easy maintenance interior (gel vice carpet) - of course I could glass and gel my deck, s-can the carpet,...hmmm

-'s of all boats
1) money pits
2) money pits
3) no one boat is perfect for everything

Wayne

onesubdrvr
07-11-2005, 10:17 PM
What 'Poodle said.

Easy on the hole shots and keep the prop in the water and the drive should hold up if that's wht you're worried about.

Frank
Well,

Spoke to the boat doctor today, and I'm MUCH more at ease than I was before,....

Everything looked good (alignment was proper / etc.), They suspected a fractured gear that finally broke loose after the addition of HP / RPM's. The coupling (motor) didn't spin, it dissintergrated.

Also, I am re-gearing with 1.43:1 gears vice the 1.6?:1 that was in there, should help me out a little.

So, that's not so much the issue, besides, the drive that went was all original, so with 17 years on it, it got it's life out of it.

Wayne

mattyboy
07-11-2005, 10:47 PM
how bout a sport deck??????

SouthernExposure
07-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Now that you have your Ragazza the way you want it enjoy it for a while. I purchased my Ragazza a couple years ago and had a learning expierence. Blood, Sweat and Tears.
Sooner or later a good deal will come along that you can't pass up. For now don't rush it.

SE :beer:

Sooner or later I'll see out on the water. :biggrin:

McGary911
07-12-2005, 12:28 PM
I'd do a few things to the Regazza to make it a bit more fishable....pole holders that mount to the rails, fish cooler, removable bait board.......then see if the kids actually like fishing. Maybe they are into it for 6 months, then want to go tubing again? From the sounds of it the kids are pretty young, so the thing doesnt have to be rigged for yellowfin.

If you got a dedicated fish boat, then the kids lost interest in fishing 6 months later, you'd kick yourself in the nutz for getting rid of the Regazza. :bonk:

florida gator
07-12-2005, 04:41 PM
I too am looking to go a bit bigger. I will take my time as I have redone quite a bit of the interior, including ripping out the carpet and putting in a non skid floor for easier cleanup.

You are right about one thing, there is no perfect boat. If money were not an object the list would start with a go fast, a CC and an airboat.

Unless the family is really into fishing, I would hold off on a serious fishing boat. With my non skid floor and rail mounted rod holders (that easily come off) I am able to fish as much as I need to. I have plenty of friends with actual fishing boats for the serious fishing. If your family is anything like mine they would not fish serious enough to warrant getting a true fishing machine.

With that said, I am looking at the Concept, it is sort of a hibrid between fishing, family and speed. I am alos considering the 28' Baja CC and the 26' Scarab Sport. I will look into the difference between fuel consumption on twins vs single. I have been told the twins don't really burn that much more fuel because they cruise at lower rpms.

I will not rush into any of these unless I find a great deal since I am happy with the GT210 (similar to the Ragazza.

Good luck with your decision.

Cuda
07-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Like I said a month or so ago, keep the Rag, and get some enjoyment out of your work. That's the only way it will seem worth it to you. The Rag should be a pretty good all purpose boat itself. I wouldn't do any modifications to make it a fishing boat. Kids don't need rod holders and live wells. Just a couple of Zebco 202's and some frozen shrimp will do. I know that combination served me well growing up. Hell, we didn't even have a boat most of the time.

onesubdrvr
07-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the input everyone,....

I am glad to hear encouragement to keep the Ragazza,....

After MANY hours of deliberation, my decision is still not made up, but the input helps put some things in better perspective. I'm not in any realy hurry, I just like to have a plan, an goal to obtain so to speak. I value peoples input as I readily admit I haven't been everywhere and done everything.

McGary, you're right, with 4 girls, it's possible that they won't like it after 1 month, net alone 6, and I do love my Donzi, and it's to the point that the REAL expensive stuff should be out of the way (I have some more interior stuff I want to do, new carpet, a little modification of my rebuilt interior / etc.) and I would kick my self in the nay nay's if I got rid of it for a "Serious Fishing Boat", and no-one to go fishing with.

I have thought about fishing off of it, and in the river, I can put the girls on the sun-pad (feet would be on the swim platform), and they could fish off of there, or even from the open bow. There is two storage lockers (one port and stbd) under the bow cushions that I could look at modifying into coolers / live wells or something, but kind of a wierd shape. **ANYONE WANT TO ATTEMPT MAKING A DROP IN INSERT, OR GIVING ADVICE ON MAKING ONE?**

The tubing / skiing, yeah, like I said, I think that's just playing with props

Also, fish boats are a dime a dozen down here, and me thinks it would be easier to pick up a fish boat (a couple of years (?) down the road) as a second boat that I wouldn't want to modify, cheaper than I could pick up and make another Ragazza. Especially if it's just me going fishing!?

Thanks again everyone
Wayne

Donzigo
07-13-2005, 07:26 AM
I don't know about that fishing with the girls thing either. Kids are always interested in something NEW, and since they ARE kids, they can loose interest in 2.5 seconds. I certainly wouldn't change boats for that. I like the shrimp and Zebco idea. I also wouldn't go crazy putting a livewell in. Sounds to me like you are pretty capable at anything mechanical and at the end of a project, itching to start another one. How's about just having fun with the boat for a season and see where it takes you. Take the girls camping on an island and let them fish off the shore. They'll be happy for 20 minutes or so.

OH..............and for your itching for a project. Buy an old car ....... better yet, buy a old British sports car (MG, Triumph, etc), that will keep you busy for a few years. Note: Make sure it has 100% LUCAS electrical parts, then you can be SURE it will keep you busy.

Regards,

Richard

Cuda
07-13-2005, 07:50 PM
If you're just itching for a project, I can pull my F20 to you to have a new cockpit designed and built. :D

sparepartz
07-13-2005, 09:35 PM
in my opinion shamrock would not be my choice for s fla fishing- you need a deep v and shear and bow flare to have a soft dry ride-besides you cant tilt the drive and beach it on the sand bar !

onesubdrvr
07-13-2005, 09:35 PM
If you're just itching for a project, I can pull my F20 to you to have a new cockpit designed and built. :D
Joe,

I'd love to!! I'll drop ya an e-mail in the next couple of days

Wayne

Cuda
07-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Joe,

I'd love to!! I'll drop ya an e-mail in the next couple of days

Wayne
Let me know when and where! Could be the start of a new profession. :biggrin.:

onesubdrvr
07-13-2005, 11:31 PM
Let me know when and where! Could be the start of a new profession. :biggrin.:
Joe,

You've got mail!!

Wayne

Cuda
07-13-2005, 11:54 PM
Joe,

You've got mail!!

Wayne
I'll have to wait to get home to read it. I'm in a motel in Tallahassee, and don't have access to my email. I'll be home Friday.

onesubdrvr
07-14-2005, 12:23 AM
I'll have to wait to get home to read it. I'm in a motel in Tallahassee, and don't have access to my email. I'll be home Friday.
Got 'cha,....probably just as good as I'm asking for LOTS of pictures :wink:

Will talk to you some more about it sometime this weekend then

Wayne