PDA

View Full Version : over heating any suggestions ??

gacameron
07-11-2005, 10:17 AM
My baby 18 2x3 350/260 has a problem temp runs 160 up till 2000rpm then right off the clock BUT at 3500 and above temp goes back down to normal I changed the impellor ,temp gauge good I thought the manifolds or elbos but the fact that the temp comes back to normal at 3500 ???? any and all suggestions readily accecpted ?? Thanks geo.

MOP
07-11-2005, 10:27 AM
My baby 18 2x3 350/260 has a problem temp runs 160 up till 2000rpm then right off the clock BUT at 3500 and above temp goes back down to normal I changed the impellor ,temp gauge good I thought the manifolds or elbos but the fact that the temp comes back to normal at 3500 ???? any and all suggestions readily accecpted ?? Thanks geo.

From what you discribe I am pretty you have the relief balls in the thermostat hose nipples, they may have worn to the point where they stick and only un seat under higher water pressure.. Most of the time you can take them off the rod and reverse them and get more life out of them. Do not try to run without them you will have problems

gacameron
07-11-2005, 10:32 AM
From what you discribe I am pretty you have the relief balls in the thermostat hose nipples, they may have worn to the point where they stick and only un seat under higher water pressure.. Most of the time you can take them off the rod and reverse them and get more life out of them. Do not try to run without them you will have problems

Thanks for suggestion but boat is 1978 before relief balls, never had any ,Thanks aways G

Dr. Dan
07-11-2005, 11:36 AM
:spongebob No Honey...those are my Relief Balls really there safe and sanitary...Phil were those "Relief Balls" hanging from the side of your Nordic 22 Viking Passage at 7:00 am in the morning at 1000 Isles last year?

As I recall they were 2' in Diameter and Swinging with the Wave Motion....quite majestic as I recall!

Doc of Nevermind :beer:

Tim Morris
07-11-2005, 12:47 PM
:spongebob Phil were those "Relief Balls" hanging from the side of your Nordic 22 Viking Passage at 7:00 am in the morning at 1000 Isles last year?

As I recall they were 2' in Diameter and Swinging with the Wave Motion....quite majestic as I recall!
:beer:

That's too funny!

MOP
07-11-2005, 03:35 PM
I wish I had bought BLUE ones!

gacameron
07-12-2005, 06:20 AM

Thanks fellas for the humor BUT doesn't help heating problem !!!!

MOP
07-12-2005, 07:13 AM
OK no more Hi Jacking!

You may be getting air into the system from a leaking drive grommet.

Put a clear hose between the Tstat housing and the manifold run it and watch for airation and where it occurs, the water should stay absolutely clear with no bubbles at all speeds. If the bubbles appear as you go on plane that indicates leaking drive grommets.

gacameron
07-17-2005, 07:35 AM
:beer:
OK no more Hi Jacking!

You may be getting air into the system from a leaking drive grommet.

Put a clear hose between the Tstat housing and the manifold run it and watch for airation and where it occurs, the water should stay absolutely clear with no bubbles at all speeds. If the bubbles appear as you go on plane that indicates leaking drive grommets.

MOP thanks it is in the foot ( bubbles in the line, put clear line between oil cooler and engine intake ) I had ideas of head gaskets,cracked block all of which
where hurting my back before I started . I'll take foot off this week and have boat in for the last part of the summer < many thanks for in put "BLUE BALLS AND ALL " Geo