PDA

View Full Version : Safety Lanyards...Use them !!!

Greg K
07-10-2005, 10:01 AM
This is a result of a driver not strapping it on. 33zx took turn at 60 plus or more and ejected himself and 3 to 5 passengers. Luckily, everyone escaped uninjured and no one on shore as well. The driver was not wearing the kill switch tether. The boat continued toward the shoreline, hit a seawall and continued parallel to the shore. The boat went THRU 3 piers, a docked sailboat, and a shore station and ended up on top of a 4th pier with the motors still running.

mphatc
07-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Those of us with older boats, not originally set up with a lanyard cut off . . .

Installation is E A S Y !!! and will take you very little time! and costs less than a six pack of good brew!

The cut off switch is nothing more than an interupter on the positive coil lead.

I made a small aluminum bracket that is mounted to the back of my dash by the bolts/nuts that retain the steering hub assembly. ( I didn't want to drill any holes in the Corsican ;) ). Then cut the coil lead from the ignition switch and splice the two leads from the cutoff switch in line. Insulate your splices well.

My bracket barely allows the lanyard lead to connect and is virtually invisable.

A note, many lanyard leads are made of a sticky plastic covered coiled cord, this gets good traction on the old original Donzi steering wheels and can cause you to disconnect if your making slow hand over hand steering manuevers.

Just do it!

Mario

Mr X
07-10-2005, 04:37 PM
WOW! For a moment I thought it was my old 33ZX!!

Glad everyone was ok!

synack
07-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Where did this happen? Somewhere in IL?

This is a result of a driver not strapping it on. 33zx took turn at 60 plus or more and ejected himself and 3 to 5 passengers. Luckily, everyone escaped uninjured and no one on shore as well. The driver was not wearing the kill switch tether. The boat continued toward the shoreline, hit a seawall and continued parallel to the shore. The boat went THRU 3 piers, a docked sailboat, and a shore station and ended up on top of a 4th pier with the motors still running.

synack
07-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Looks like this was in Lake Marie, in northern IL.

Greg K
07-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Looks like this was in Lake Marie, in northern IL.
You're correct on the location.