PDA

View Full Version : Sobering News from Smoke on the Water Run

gold-n-rod
07-09-2005, 09:18 PM
From the Associated Press:

HOLLAND, Mich (AP) -- A Lake Michigan accident, which killed one and left one missing, happened about 9:45 a.m. EDT near Holland. The 42-foot power boat carrying four people capsized as the driver was making a turn.

U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Craig Lawrance said the men on board apart of a Smoke on the Water Poker Run that included 60 to 70 boats. He said the boat was speeding from Grand Haven to Holland when the driver overcompensated for a missed turn, slowing from about 110 mph to about 70 mph.

Lawrance said alcohol was not a factor.

In the Lake Michigan crash, a 20-year-old Bristol, R.I., man died from his injuries, and the 42-year-old missing man is from Hartland, Wis., authorities said. Ottawa County Sheriff's Sgt. Kevin Allman said he likely drowned.

Sgt. Scott Tatrow of the Allegan County Sheriff's Office told WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids that the passengers were wearing life preservers but they came off when straps broke from impact with the water.

A U.S. Coast Guard helicopter and boat were joined by divers from the Ottawa and Allegan county sheriff's departments in a search of the lake Saturday.

The driver of the boat was taken to Holland Community Hospital for treatment of back injuries, while a fourth man on board was not injured.

Additional information about the men wasn't released.

Lawrance said the poker run involves boaters making stops at various locations on land and in the water to collect cards for a poker hand.

The two-day event is based in Grand Haven and has been held annually since 2001, according to a Smoke on the Water Web site. Boaters take a 141-mile course with stops in South Haven, Holland, Muskegon and White Lake.

Dr. Dan
07-10-2005, 11:39 AM
:smash: Tragic For Sure!

Hers some stuff from Speedwake/OSO
http://www.speedwake.com/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29357

Guess its always a matter of time, this is a really well run and respected Event. A great Charity(Make A Wish Foundation)... lets be careful out there, this Season... and keep this kinda stuff in your mind when you're thinking of doing that crazy turn, or pushing the hulls limits...it's just not worth it...I am sure this was as unfortuante as it sounds...and at the beginning of the Run...

Pretty Well Dampens the Festivities.... if we all keep our families safe, watch out for each other...and wear Life Vests when doing these runs... maybe this will help to save others from waking up some morning to this news...

Our Thoughts and Prayers are with the Families and Those Involved

Be Safe People...and Be Careful

Doc & Liz

mjbtx
07-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Also, it shows you the importance of a good vest when traveling 100+.
This month's Speedboat magazine had an article on Lifeline vests. The
recreational model is approx $300.....but it has straps that help keep it
on during high impact to water..... From what I read on the accident,
they were wearing vests but they got torn-off during impact. Kind of
goes back to the theory on motor oil......if you have a $40,000 engine,
you don't mind using the best motor oil @ what a "normal boater" would
consider an outrageous amount per quart of oil. Even last weekend
over the July 4th events, I wore my vest while throwing out / retrieving
the front anchor. You'll always get some moron hauling butt between
boats and it always seems to happen when I'm on the nose of the boat doing anchor duties.....

mjbtx
07-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Alot of people that buy these big "go fast" boat are "new to boating
owners".....Never owned a small boat before and worked up through the
size ranks. I was looking @ a 45' Donzi ZX in Florida.......turns out it
was barrel rolled in Sarasota with only a couple hours on the hull/motors.
Guess what.....New to boating owner who just got rich and had to have
a BIG "go fast" boat. He did a high speed turn and trimmed down the nose
of the boat and all of a sudden found himself driving with the strakes on
the front of the hull and not at all w/the outdrives. Luckily, the four
people on the boat were thrown completely from harms ways and a local
patrol boat was right in the vicinity to retrieve everyone. I just can't
even imagine barrel rolling a 15000+ lb boat and having it end up rightsided.