PDA

View Full Version : Bad time for this problem!

Tony
07-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Since we leave Monday morning for Thousand Islands, this is like Murphy's law.

Apparently my 38 year old Eaton Interceptor alternator (#60-1002938-10Y) has given up the ghost. My local Carquest auto parts guy gives me a "Westling Manufacturing Co." replacement, #71-1127-1W12N.

The replacement is a one wire deal, while mine had two. He says my second small wire was a voltage regulator, and the replacement alternator has that feature built in. It is taking some minor modifications to make it fit. I am hoping it will work well, since I have no time to hunt down an exact replacement. Plus, he had no cross-reference for that old Eaton part number.

Not exactly what I wanted to tackle to two days before leaving for a week of boating. Any cautions, advice, or other words of wisdom for me?

Mr X
07-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Is the replacment one a MARINE version?

MOP
07-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Tony don't panic if you do not see immediate charge, just goose it a little some of them do not kick in until 1000-1200RPM then will hold even at very low idle speeds.

Phil

mattyboy
07-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Tony,
I had the same thing when i did replace my alt. 2 seasons ago on the 351w, It works great but I do seem remembering having to cut a wire because it would not turn off, and remove the regulator which was one a bracket on the intake manifold
I'll see if I can find the thread Penbroke knows about it he was a big help

mattyboy
07-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Tony here is the thread, it was from the tank replacement, when i had the deck off i noticed the alt. was crooked it busted an ear off where it bolts on so I had to replace it the new one was like yours a built in volt reg
I still have the old alt. it works just can't mount it
hope this helps

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26784

Tony
07-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the replies. The new one is in, I had to grind a little off the old bracket to give it room to adjust, other than that it went well. Started right up, and my battery charger does not give me a "bad alternator" message now. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will work.

Mr. X, I suspect that this is not a Marine version, what problems might this create?

Cuda
07-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Mr. X, I suspect that this is not a Marine version, what problems might this create?
It could cause the worst problem of all, an explosive problem. Be sure to run your bilge blower everytime you stop. I'd just leave it on full time while running.

Tony
07-09-2005, 09:44 PM
O.K., now you guys are scaring me. I thought I had the explosion problem solved when I swapped out my fuel tank. Here are some specs from my new alternator...maybe they mean something to somebody.
Turn on rpm: 2199
Amps @ 2000: 30
Amps @ 5000: 60AC Ripple: 0.9
Volt Set Point: 14.4

Poodle, I am for sure having my original re-manufactured, but of course that takes some time. Hey...maybe there is someone in Clayton, NY, that could do this type of work...any leads there, MINXGUY?

MOP
07-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Does the back have screening covering the opening, if it does it is marine. If there is no screen it can ignite any possible gas fumes.

Phil

MOP
07-09-2005, 10:22 PM
I stay at a buddies place up there he knows where to find most anything, Bonnie and I have scoped the place out pretty good also so If you need anything on the US side give me a call 631 278 1892

Phil

Tony
07-09-2005, 10:26 PM
No screen as far as I can see. Is that the only difference? My old Eaton does not look to have any screens either. (see pictures)

Phil, off the record, how much should I about this "igniting fumes" thing?

Are the above specs in line with where I should be, do these make sense to anyone?

MOP
07-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Every thing in the engine compartment has to be marine, it is rare but boats do catch fire and or blow up, really not worth taking a chance.

Phil

Dr. Dan
07-10-2005, 02:13 AM
:bonk: Tony...this is not directed at you...but its on Topic.... Jamie from Lakeside just sent me some Pics where a guy on his local Lake had cobbled all of this BS Stuff together to save money... and had been at it for awhile...and it finally cost him... he Blew his boat up and caught 18 others on Fire over the 4th....

He was Medivacked to the Hospital...with Burns over his whole Body.

Get a Marine unit...when ya can...or park near Matty, yes that'll work!

Doc :banghead:

mattyboy
07-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Tony,
when I got mine the guy said it was marinized and was sealed don't remember screens, but is did have rubber plugs in it think it was from arco marine??
sounds like Madpoodle's offer is the best bet,
and you can dock near me anytime everyone knows I am a diagonal foamless flameable fool ;) say that with a mouthful of zippo lighter fluid ;)

MOP
07-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Not all are screened, what some have is over lapping plates. The theory is sparks can not go around corners, that is fine and dandy but put you hand close to an alternators pulley while its is running you will feel the air coming out of the front. Now does that not make the alternator suck fumes into the rear where the sparks are! Interesting! :confused: