PDA

View Full Version : Any 22's available?

half shell
07-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Just sold my Whaler and looking at 22 classics. Does anyone know of any deals out there and willing to let it out of the bag?

Also spotted a 86 22c 350/alpha1 does anyone have an opinion/experience with that combo?

I am still thinking about new or a year or two old but I hate to have a boat payment.

Regards Bob

RedDog
07-08-2005, 01:18 PM
lots of great deals in the "Donzis for Sale" section - http://www.donzi.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

RickSE
07-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Man, a lot of people looking for 22's around here lately. Best deal I've seen is the one in northern New Mexico on Ebay for $10K, BBC/alpha though. Good luck with your search.

New Mexico 22 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4559134138&category=31271&sspagename=WDVW)

RickSE
07-08-2005, 05:10 PM
OK so it's got a little bit of green paint on it. I'm sure it's white underneath.

undertaker
07-08-2005, 09:18 PM
If ya go new give Frank C. (Shanghied Again) a call he can order you a 2006. I just bought my 05 22 from him he treats you right and is a Donzi boater NOT a salesman IMO :D . Good luck let me know if I can help you out in anyway. :wavey:

Here is Franks web site www.typhoonperformancemarine.com.

Undertaker :moped:

Pismo
07-09-2005, 11:48 AM
A 22 with an 86 small block alpha would work but be slowish. I think they were rated well under 300hp and not at the prop. An easy upgrade tho someday to a Bravo and a big block, so if the boat is in good shape then it's a go if the price is reasonable. The ebay boat looks good, the BBC/Alpha combo is alright, just take it easy with lower pitched 3 blade props and it will go and go.

half shell
07-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Does slowish mean I would have to run WOT to have a grin on my face?

Regards Bob

onesubdrvr
07-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Does slowish mean I would have to run WOT to have a grin on my face?

Regards Bob
Bob,

I wouldn't say that at all,

My only advice would be shop, shop, shop, decide what is important to you, do a $$ / spouse evaluation and shop some more, when you find one, have it surveyed, regardless of year, then go ahead.

I've got a 88 Ragazza that I should of had surveyed, but didn't, now I'm $10k into it, new motor, outdrive, and interior, and can tell you that even though I :biggrin: ALOT, it would have been alot more if I hadn't spent that kind of money for the 6 times or so I've used it so far.

As far as speed, I will also tell you that I am most likely getting rid of the Ragazza because I've learned that it isn't the best family boat (even though it is a bow-rider), because it's just a go-fast. With the hp / speed I'm running, it's too fast for my kids to tube behind (tough to get a good plane speed). Can't fish off of it (kids have asked to do that recently), etc. Keeping that in mind, my boat is by no means a speed monster, 315hp to the prop, 60mph. So, I'm not the slowest, but FAR FAR FAR from the fastest!!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, IF I could have more than one boat, I'd have a 22 classic with big power, as it's a go-fast, and in my opinion, not much else, just a darn sexy go-fast :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: and I would do all I could to radiate that fact!! Then, I'd also have a Boston Whaler (or something like that) for everything else. Having just one boat takes ALOT of evaluation, # of people, ALL uses, not just primary, I just can't see ever fishing or skiing off of a 22 classic, or hell, even my Ragazza, just not friendly for that kind of stuff.

In summary, if you are sure a 22 is the right boat, do what you can to go big,.... you REALLY don't want me in my Ragazza passing you in your 22 classic :wink: .

Until later,
Wayne

Cuda
07-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Budman told me he runs 60mph with his SBC/Alpha combo, and I believe his SBC has been massaged.

To be quite honest, there isn't many time I want to run over 60, I start getting tense, and don't really enjoy myself as much as running 50 relaxed. It is nice to have the extra speed there occasionally for short burst, but to buy a boat purely for it's top speed is a question each boater must ask himself.

MOP
07-09-2005, 11:39 PM
My 86 had the Tempest 300/Alpha and Gil headers in ran 61.9, I think the SB 22 is also a little more nimble.

Phil

half shell
07-10-2005, 07:28 AM
Hello and thanks to all I still have a 13 sport whaler to throw a few fishin' poles in and to hit the beach dig clams and keep my youngest one happy.

I understand the boat does not run at wot all the time just wanted to make sure the boat gets on plane nicely and runs fast enough to blow off some steam from time to time.

OK still looking I will let you know what I find.

Regards Bob

Budmann
07-10-2005, 07:35 AM
Cuda is right... anyone who has run with me is amazed at how fast my sbc is. The 22 is weighted better w/ small block. I have three friends I run the Suwannee allot with and their big block 22's start to porpois at slower speeds. They burn more gas too. :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

Good luck on the hunt!

Budmann
07-10-2005, 11:03 AM
M.P..... WHATEVER!!! :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

BUIZILLA
07-10-2005, 11:12 AM
The more i'm around these 22's, i'm liking the small block aspect more_and_more... :yes: :shades:

JH

onesubdrvr
07-10-2005, 12:34 PM
I REALLY like SB's, you can build 'em up respectably and not break the bank, and with the weight issue, I'd say it's a great match,

But, I was just refering to the Bone stock Alpha I (260hp) sb in a 22. The 22 is a great boat, regardless of how it is powered!

Wayne

MOP
07-10-2005, 02:08 PM
A 260 should get into the upper 50's with no sweat and can cruise upper 30's, the beauty is you can do that very inexpensively. I tracked two tanks over a four day period on the 300 at last years 1K and it stayed just below 4 GPH with a lot more WOT then normal. I have a hunch and by watching the big boys gas their 22's every day that they were burning double that.

Phil

roadtrip se
07-10-2005, 05:45 PM
A 260 should get into the upper 50's with no sweat and can cruise upper 30's, the beauty is you can do that very inexpensively. I tracked two tanks over a four day period on the 300 at last years 1K and it stayed just below 4 GPH with a lot more WOT then normal. I have a hunch and by watching the big boys gas their 22's every day that they were burning double that.

Phil

Phil,

I refueled ONCE in three days of hard, really hard, running at 1000 Islands last year. I would guess that I burnt somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 gallons and I'm looking forward to burning 2X that, if I can this year.

These things aren't Hondas for goodness sake...

Make mine steak, make mine beer, and there just ain't no substitue for a Big Block, as Big as you can afford, in a 22 Donzi!

ARGH! See you soon in paradise!

RT
Thinking weight savings, somebody needs to check out the Illimor 625!... hmmm

Dr. Dan
07-10-2005, 05:47 PM
:bonk:
Phil,

I refueled ONCE in three days of hard, really hard, running at 1000 Islands last year. I would guess that I burnt somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 gallons and I'm looking forward to burning 2X that, if I can this year.

These things aren't Hondas for goodness sake...

Make mine steak, make mine beer, and there just ain't no substitue for a Big Block, as Big as you can afford, in a 22 Donzi!

ARGH! See you soon in paradise!

RT

:wavey: Yeah What He Said :wavey:

Doc of Evil Twins :D

MOP
07-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Hmmm! You two knew where every fuel dock was, rooster tails eat fuel :biggrin: :biggrin:

boxy
07-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Ahh, never mind... :boggled::smash: :wavey:

my thoughts exactly....... :D

half shell
07-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Called aqua toy store on the aronow edition ouch 59K.

But they can finance for 12 years double ouch!!!

Maybe the used 22 with the 260hp isnt all that bad a deal.

Regards Bob

Rootsy
07-11-2005, 02:03 PM
just cause you say small block doesn't mean it has to truly be "small" :beer: