PDA

View Full Version : Sudden loss of power

paperman
07-08-2005, 11:08 AM
Cruising the Bay for about a hour, when suddenly came off plan and it felt like I hook on to a barge. Boat full of kids, so I got back and found what I thought was the problem. Spark plug wire came off ! hook up and went out this wekend, same thing. This time no wire problem. :confused: I have a 275 LXC with a 454. Runs great until that invisible barge hooks up. Any ideas.
Checked the outdrive and it looks fine, no large ropes or swimmers attached. :bonk:

David Ochs
07-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Paperman,

A better description of symptoms may help the guru's with some diagnosis.
Assuming that it is a loss of rpm's, you might first check to see if to see if your fuel filter(s) are clogged. This is a classic condition for either dirt or water in the fuel.

paperman
07-08-2005, 12:15 PM
:smash: The RPMs did drop off, sat down in the water. Sounded like it was straining to move. The group in the back said they could smell gas.
Got back home holding it about 10 MPH. Could this be a choke problem ?
Can they shut back after they open ?

David Ochs
07-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Sure it can close and wants to from vacuum. Is it running rich for you (black smoke and all)? If you suspect that to be the problem, perhaps you could try using something and force it to stay open. Be careful to keep the flame arrestor in place when cruising, I know the temptation is there when fooling with the carb. Also check the flame arrestor for any restrictions, that would cause a choking condition.

MOP
07-08-2005, 05:23 PM
I would check the float level in the carb, that is more likely then the choke. You can have choke problems remedy depends on what carb is on the motor.

Phil

paperman
07-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Looks like I should zero in on the Weber. Thanks for the help. Going down to the boat tommorow and take a look. I'll try again on Sunday. :wrench: