PDA

View Full Version : Get ready for Dennis

Cuda
07-08-2005, 07:53 AM
It's now a Cat 4 storm. I think the hurricanes have a homing device on me. I'm up in the panhandle on a job, and it looks to be headed for me.

gcarter
07-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Be careful Joe!
I have a buddy in the keys who is CFO w/ the news paper. He HAS to stay as long as they're printing there. So far he says the eye track is West of Ft. Jefferson.

p729lws
07-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Cuda,

Where are you at? I just put the Donzi in the warehouse at the office and am headng home to secure the house. Not much we can do if we get the same storm surge as Ivan though. Will be heading east or west depending on the direction of the storm. Have reservations in NOLA and Tallahassee. Looking like we'll be heading to Talahassee with the current storm prediction.

I'm stoping by P'cola Beach to kick Jim Cantore's ass before I leave. I'm sure this is his fault somehow. :angryfire

Dan

Morgan's Cloud
07-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Gawd ... I hope you guys don't have another year like -04 .

Then again I hope we have a good Bermuda high this summer too .... we're gonna need it I think ....

Tough position to be in :boggled:

Johntrip
07-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Waiting on stanby here in homestead.... Buckled down the house in Key Largo but the Donzi is still being repaired at Aqua in Pompano!! Trying to decide whether I should go grab it unfinished to put in my shop or leave it where its at.???

undertaker
07-08-2005, 10:29 AM
JOHN, I would put her in your shop, she not use to those Hurricanes :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

she=Donzi :cool:

Undertaker

Sport
07-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Good luck everybody !

Make smart decisions, stay safe !

Sport

txtaz
07-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Hand in there guys, we're praying for you.

Cuda
07-08-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm sitting here in Hojo's in Tallahassee, trying to get a job done before the storm hits. I'm hoping to get out of here around noon tomorrow and head back to Deland. I already had Debbie tighten down the covers on the Minx and my Formula.

Cuda
07-08-2005, 07:55 PM
When I renewed my room last night, (thought I'd get out of here yesterday) the girl at the desk told me they are already filling up for this weekend due to the storm, so I renewed my room for tonight early this morning. I didn't want to sleep in the truck. I like this room, wireless internet, fridge, and microwave, and with my tight ass book, it only cost 39 an night, though I'm sure they aren't taking the coupons now.

whitedevil
07-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Waiting on stanby here in homestead.... Buckled down the house in Key Largo but the Donzi is still being repaired at Aqua in Pompano!! Trying to decide whether I should go grab it unfinished to put in my shop or leave it where its at.???i would leave my boat at the toy store i think they dont have a clue there wating for a part now going on a month

Forrest
07-10-2005, 02:59 PM
As of this morning, my beach house on Ochlocknee Bay, which is built of concrete block and located over two-hundred miles east of Dennis, is now under four-feet of sea-water. Yesterday the neighborhood was high and dry. Now, according to those who live there full time and who are trapped the I might add, it looks like a bunch of houses sitting in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico with white caps and all. This type of surge was not expected the far east of the Hurricane. My best to all of those folks in Dennis's path. This is going to be a tough one.

boldts
07-10-2005, 04:16 PM
I work for an insurance company here in Ohio. We were preparing for the surge of claims since the middle of last week. I'm keeping all of our Southern family members in my prayers. Be safe all! Also, I just saw on the NASCAR race where a tornado went through Atlanta last week. I hope all from that area of the country come out of it alright. Have a lot of friends who have attended past AOTH gatherings from GA. Your all in my thoughts!

Cuda
07-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Thank goodness the storm weakened a bit before hitting land. It doesn't look like a picnic, but not nearly as bad if it had hit as a strong Cat4 like was feared.

p729lws
07-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Just got power back on last night so this has been my first chance to post. We stayed in Tallahassee Saturday and Sunday night. Got back to Pensacola Monday afternoon. The house is fine but the two week old landscaping took a hit. We had 8" of water in the house after Ivan so this is nothing. :smile:

Ran the Donzi on Tuesday out to Pensacola beach with a generator, two dehumidifers and a box fan to check out a friends condo and start drying it out. There is alot of damage out there but not as bad as Ivan.

Looks like Emily is still headed toward Mexico :rlol:

Dan

Forrest
07-15-2005, 09:53 AM
My house on Ochlocknee Bay.

26" deep in the house. Nine-foot storm surge. I faired better than most houses on the ground. Its all clean now, but still some water damaged drywall left which will be recplaced with Dens-Shield board, and bathroom cabinets which will be replaced by pedistel sinks. No more stinkin' particle-board in this place.

Pictures from day one after the water receeded . . . more to come.

p729lws
07-15-2005, 11:20 AM
My house on Ochlocknee Bay.

26" deep in the house. Nine-foot storm surge. I faired better than most houses on the ground. Its all clean now, but still some water damaged drywall left which will be recplaced with Dens-Shield board, and bathroom cabinets which will be replaced by pedistel sinks. No more stinkin' particle-board in this place.

Pictures from day one after the water receeded . . . more to come.

Forrest,
I fell your pain, its never good when you have a high water mark on an interior door. That's a good point about the particle board. All of our hardwood furniture came through Ivan fairly well and can be refinished but the composite stuff was all trash. I wish I had thought about replacing the sheetrock with Dens-Shield board or duro-rock. Most of our friends went back with ceramic tiles in lieu of wood or carpet floors.

Good luck, its a long road getting back but it was worth it to us in the end.

Dan

Cuda
07-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Damn Forest, that's a shame. I guess it could have been worse. I think I'll be back in Tally sometime next week.