PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Props for 280 form Michigan Wheel ?

Craig
07-07-2005, 07:01 AM
Okay - I'm sure someone is going to burst my bubble here, because I couldn't have discovered anything some of you guys don't already know about prop availability for a Volvo 280 drive, so anyway here's what I stumbled on to at the Michigan Wheel Corp. web site.

14x21 Michigan Wheel Stainless (SSV series) LH rotation prop for 280's (and some of the other AQ drives).

According to their web site (Michigan Wheel Corp.) these props are available. At least there is a part number.

I've sent some e-mails to them and some distributors to verify if they really are available. No replies yet.

Okay, so now one of you guys can reply and say something like "No Craig, that's a typo" -- or "those props are eternally out of stock", -- or something.

Go ahead I can take it...

Lenny
07-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Solas has 'em as well :) . That being BigGrizzly :D RH or LH, big props, 15 5/8" and big pitch available. I went from a 24 Ultra at 5400 rpm, full fuel, to 4400 with a 21 Solas, full fuel. About 2% slip was my calculation so far before I "bent" it. :( 4400 was my MAX rpm with it. Talk about BITE. They need big ponies.

boldts
07-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Craig - I bought a Michigan Wheel stainless back when I had a 250 Volvo. It was a long hub prop so I had to change a few things including drilling and tapping a hole in the prop shaft and buying the smaller cone. We also had to do some modifications to make the lock washer work with the prop. The prop shop working with me ground 3 slots into the cone to allow the washer prongs to be bent up into. Because we were using a long hub prop, the washer also no longer engaged with the shaft splines for locking. We simply bent the remaining tabs down to engage with the prop hub spaces. Prop was not available in a left hand at a pitch of 23" which was what I needed, so the drive was switched from a left hand to a right hand rotation. It's just a matter of changing the side the shifting linkage is on when you take the drive cover off. Again, this was for a 250 not the 280 Volvo drive you have.

Good news though is unless they have discontinued the prop in the last 5 years, you should be able to find one. If, as in my case, you need more than 21" of pitch, you may have to change the drive rotation and go righty to get the pitch you need. On my 18 Classic, I didn't notice a whole lot of torque steer trying to roll the boat to the left as in mine, I sat on the left hand side. I also only had a Ford 302 supplying the energy, so no big power house of an engine turning the prop. Maybe that is why there wasn't much left lean going on due to the prop being right handed.

Since BigGrizzly here has the Solas props available, I'd talk to him about a stainless for your application. These just were not available when I had my 18. So, the Michigan worked for me at the time.

Craig
07-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Okay -Lenny has me worried. Are the Solas props "not good?"

Even if they are, I was curious if the Michigan prop is any lower cost. As I recall, the Solas props (discussed here before) were in the $600 range.

Does anyone know where to check (a dealer) that has the Michigans and how much they cost?

Thanks again.