PDA

View Full Version : Leeking from the plate :-(

DonZi kid18
07-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Alright well for the 4-th of july i towed my 1983 donZi classic down to Alantic City (Brigitine) and i put it in the water and noticed that there was a leek. It was coming from a plate in the back, where the exhost is supposed to come out the prop, but since the exhost gose out from the risers donzi put a plate there. So now its goin to cost like 700-1000 $ to put a new plate in and gasget. They have to pull the motor to get to the plate. Well just wanted to let everyone know how my 4th of july went, hope everyones went better then mine :smile:

Ryan
---------------
1983 blue DonZi Classic

McGary911
07-06-2005, 11:30 AM
MOP has a fix for this that you don't need to pull the motor for. Do a search on his posts. It involves pulling the drive, and filling the passage with foam.

DonZi kid18
07-06-2005, 11:37 AM
well my grandfather wants to to pay to get it fixed so let him do what ever. I thought we could save some money. but all well

Thanx for the advice

Ryan
-------------
1983 Blue DonZi Classic

MOP
07-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey 45 minutes and $6.99 for a can of blow foam from the hardware store and it will stay fixed.
The prices you posted are extremely out of line, that is a 5 hour job in the book with about $45.00 in parts. Even at our $100.00 per hour rate those guys are screwing you real bad! I pulled the motor out and back in in my 22 in 3-1/2 hours two times this year, I am a 65 year old fart with arthritis so don't let that shop BS you!

If you want to know the foam thing let me know, I guarantee it will fix it.

Phil

onesubdrvr
07-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Hey 45 minutes and $6.99 for a can of blow foam from the hardware store and it will stay fixed.
The prices you posted are extremely out of line, that is a 5 hour job in the book with about $45.00 in parts. Even at our $100.00 per hour rate those guys are screwing you real bad! I pulled the motor out and back in in my 22 in 3-1/2 hours two times this year, I am a 65 year old fart with arthritis so don't let that shop BS you!

Phil
Phil,

As usual, you bring up a good point,....
5 hour job,.... etc. I know when I pick up my boat I'll be x-raying that bill, and I hope they don't try to BS me,..... I hope they don't think that I was born yesterday,... come to think of it, they had told the insurance 32 hours, but I think that was including rebuilding of the drive, which they ended up not doing because I purchased a rebuilt one,.... we'll see, they'd better not, daddy wants to get him a new boat!!

Wayne

DonZi kid18
07-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Alright thanx if i could get the name of the foam that would be great. Well i called some boat places and they told me that i had to pull the motor and some said that i did not. so i dont know. but its out of my hands because my grandfather is paying for it. But i knew that the price sounded high. if you could i would still like the name of the foam. Thanx

Ryan
--------------------
1983 Blue DonZi classic 2+3

Phil

MOP
07-07-2005, 06:57 PM
To change the plate and gasket you need to pull the engine, what you amy run into is that there is corrosion where the plate meets the housing. That turns into a Gotcha and gets even more expensive, believe me been there done that way more then most.
What to do? Trim the drive up clean out the exhaust port really well, shoot a few coats of zinc chromate intot he openinglet it dry thouroughly. Buy a can of insulation foam at the hardware store, tape the opening over from the bottom up leave an opening big enough to insert the tube that comes with the can. Fill the cavity and let it cure over night, it takes a little longer to get solid then most think. Trim off the excess and paint it over, you will not sink any more!

Phil

BLACKIE
07-10-2005, 10:35 PM
So Phil, all you have to do it trim up the drive, clean & prime with zink Chromate, tape up the hole (I'm assuming masking tape will do), leave and opening at the top for the foam tube, fill it up and let cure. The next day, do you just remove the tape trim and paint? That's it????? Sounds to easy.... :yes:

MOP
07-11-2005, 09:44 AM
So Phil, all you have to do it trim up the drive, clean & prime with zink Chromate, tape up the hole (I'm assuming masking tape will do), leave and opening at the top for the foam tube, fill it up and let cure. The next day, do you just remove the tape trim and paint? That's it????? Sounds to easy.... :yes:

Like you say "Sounds to easy" but it is simple and works extremely well. Most every boat that we have pulled apart to fix we found the housing damaged and needing repair. By the time all was said and done it was pretty expensive.

DonZi kid18
07-12-2005, 04:56 PM
well its been about 3 weeks now and i still have not got the DonZi back :confused:

Ryan

MOP
07-12-2005, 08:20 PM
If they have not started work go and grab it, those suckers are going to hose you!

DonZi kid18
07-13-2005, 08:14 PM
well they have started working on it. but i dont know whats taking so long :angryfire . I called them and gave them H*LL :kaioken: i would like to be out in the lake Hauling A$$ !!!!

Ryan