PDA

View Full Version : CC / WAC / CF's for families

onesubdrvr
07-06-2005, 12:34 AM
OK, as most of you know, I'm looking at alot of boats right now

I thought I was sold on a CC - the ZF I was looking at is still available, but the more I look, the more I wonder if a walk around cuddy, or a cuddy-fish would be better. Obviously, one thing that comes to mind instantly is the "little girls room", with out giving up the fishing aspect that I'm looking for, and not going 23' to get it in a CC. Also, a little better protection from the elements for them.

Also, while on the subject,

I saw a Shamrock (1980) straight drive (with tranny), Ford 302 (?), 20' cuddy fish. my question here is reliability vs. I/O? I really like the lay-out of this boat, it's different!! but am concerned at the price - it's seems pretty low, now I know it's old, but I guess my question is what kind of reputation does Shamrock have, I've always liked the looks of them, but don't know much about them. Also, what kind of service issues are to be aware of (ie. shaft packing / anything different than I/O's). One thing I do know is that a well taken care of Key Largo will outlast an abused ZF!!

REGARDLESS OF WHAT I GET IT WILL BE SURVEYED!!

Thanks guys,
Wayne

onesubdrvr
07-06-2005, 06:31 AM
The walk around cuddies are usually difficult to get around. The walkways are inherently narrow, makes getting around them a pain.. I would get a forward cuddie if anything..

Shamrocks have a pretty good rep. The keel drive is nice it you run aground, it somewhat protects the prop, and does protect the running gear. Draft is an issue tho. And yes, you have stuffing boxes and packing to deal with... Plus all the oh so fun handling characteristics of an inboard..
Will keep all of that in mind,....

do tell,....."the oh so fun handling characteristics of an inboard.."

and what kind of draft difference are we talking between a keel drive and an I/O?

Wayne

mattyboy
07-06-2005, 10:44 AM
talk to Tux, sort of like nascar they only turn one way when backing depending on the rotation of the prop :boggled:

MOP
07-06-2005, 12:54 PM
The Shamrock is a good solid little boat with excellent resale, we have a ton around here. We had the 20 as a work boat for many years, what it went through and survived most of our Donzi's would have succumbed to. The inboard transmission and the little Ford are near indestructible and darn cheat to run, the back down handling issue mentioned above is a challenge until you get used to the boat. The Shamrock does back down better then most due to the long keel, another point that many do not know is that once the boat is moving in reverse you can kick it out of gear and it will follow its rudder very nicely. If you stay in reverse it will back off to one side depending on prop rotation, once you get used to the way it backs under power you will be surprised how good you can get at it. I have had several single inboards really not much to get used to with a little practice.

Phil

onesubdrvr
07-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys,.....

The boat looks pretty well maintained, but it has been kept in the water - which, if properly maintained isn't that big of a deal, but,.....

Also needs a trailer, but still a neat looking little boat. LOTS of cockpit space, VERY fishable for all types of fishing (except flats fishing!), high gunwales, cuddy for the kiddies to get out of the sun, I think I'll take a drive this weekend and take a look at it,....

here is a photo
Wayne

Cuda
07-06-2005, 06:50 PM
I always liked the Shamrocks with the pilot house. If you've ever been fishing offshore in the winter, you'd know why. :)