PDA

View Full Version : Navigation lights on older 22' Classic

Barnacle Bill
07-05-2005, 09:39 PM
I recently purchased a 1989 22' Classic and have a question for the board regarding the stock set-up on the navigation lights, specifically the "all around" light mounted on a staff just forward of the wind screen. Currently it only operates in an "anchor light" mode. When switched to the navigation light mode the red / green bow and white 130 degree stern lights come on but the white all around light goes out. As a result it is not legal to run after dark. Even if it did work there would be a question of poor night vision due to the light showing aft into your eyes. The C.G. Aux. member who failed my boat due to the lights suggested that the original light may have had a removable screen that blocked the light to the rear and that someone may have replaced that light with an all around light then disconnected it due to the vision issue. The boat has had work done on the wiring and there is a good chance that the all around light is an after market replacement. I would like to make the boat both legal and as close to original as possible. Can anyone tell me how the original lights were set-up so that I can making that happen.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Bill

gcarter
07-05-2005, 10:09 PM
On my Minx, it is an anchor light. Also it is removable. When removed, the socket is covered with a plug. This is a Perko item. It retails for about $85.00. I was able to find the exact replacement on ebay for about $25.00.
It sounds to me it's working correctly. But it should be removable.

gcarter
07-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Take a look at;
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=15992&catalogId=10001&classNum=236&subdeptNum=235&storeNum=9

TBroccoli
07-06-2005, 11:35 AM
I think everything works as they are suppose to. The "all around" light is an at anchor light used to notify other boats "all around" you that you are there. The navigation lights are the bow red/green light and a white light on the stern.

DONZI
07-06-2005, 01:57 PM
On my 87 22 C.
Nav. switched on (switches down on dash- red lights on) puts on Bow light & forward Mast bulb & Stern light.

Anc. switched on(switch up green light on) puts on both Mast bulbs only.
I would ck. the wiring at base of Mast 1st.

Barnacle Bill
07-06-2005, 06:16 PM
On my 87 22 C.
Nav. switched on (switches down on dash- red lights on) puts on Bow light & forward Mast bulb & Stern light.

Anc. switched on(switch up green light on) puts on both Mast bulbs only.
I would ck. the wiring at base of Mast 1st.

The problem is that my Mast Light is set up for only one bulb. From what you are saying it should have two bulbs (fore and aft) that operate with ether the fore one on alone with the bow and stern lights or both on when switched to the anchor light mode. If that is what you are saying maybe my problem can be solved by finding a replacement Mast Light that has the two bulb set up. Once I have that I can see if it works as you discribed and if not look into the wiring at the base of the mast.

Please let me know if I am misreading you on the separate fore and aft bulbs in the mast head light.

I will do as gcarter suggests and check out Perko and e-bay to see if I can locate the correct one.

Thanks again,

Bill

DONZI
07-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Bill,
Yes mine has 2- bulbs.1 Front & 1 rear. The plug in is a 3 prong.

joseph m. hahnl
07-06-2005, 06:45 PM
the mast light has 2 functions. 1 as an anchor light where it lights the front and back bulbs. and 2 as an navigation light that lights the front bulb only. you need to test the pin connector for power comming out at the base " where it is attached to the hull " by removing the mast. if this has power you need to test the contacts at the bulb. at the "front light bulb" chances are pretty good you just have poor contact some where. you should not have to replace it. all you need to do is clean the contacts or replace the wire.

joe

Barnacle Bill
07-06-2005, 07:07 PM
the mast light has 2 functions. 1 as an anchor light where it lights the front and back bulbs. and 2 as an navigation light that lights the front bulb only. you need to test the pin connector for power comming out at the base " where it is attached to the hull " by removing the mast. if this has power you need to test the contacts at the bulb. at the "front light bulb" chances are pretty good you just have poor contact some where. you should not have to replace it. all you need to do is clean the contacts or replace the wire.

joe

Thanks Joe but from what you guys are saying about separate 2 bulbs in the masthead my problem is that the light I have has only one socket and one bulb not two. I just need to find the correct replacement light to plug into my base. Finding the right one may prove the biggest challange. Does anyone have the Perko parts number for the correct light?

Thanks.

Bill

MOP
07-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Some boats have a single bulb anchor light and some have two, my 86 has a single which I prefer the mast light steals you night vision. I have never used the mast light on either of my boats, you are perfectly legal with just bow and stern running lights that is unless you anchor at night.

Phil

gcarter
07-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Here's a copy of the Perko catalog page;

Barnacle Bill
07-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Here's a copy of the Perko catalog page;

George and all who provided input.

Thanks everyone! Your help on this is much appreciated. I have ordered the correct light and should have it by early next week. Then I can see if I get lucky and have a "plug n' play" or need to go to the next step of working on the wiring. Regardless, I am happy to know that there is a place to go for all answers Donzi.

Best regards,

Bill