PDA

View Full Version : Fenders/Bumpers for a 16 ?

dr
07-05-2005, 02:36 PM
What do the 16 owners use for mooring to docks…is there a particular size or configuration that works? Thanks in advance for the help.

boxy
07-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Some 16 owners have been known to forgoe bumpers completely, and just tie up their boat sideways in the slip.....

Anon... :D

I'm sure somebody will give you the info you need real soon.

MOP
07-05-2005, 06:33 PM
I had the regular long round bumper for my 16, they were OK but if I had it to do again I would get the flat rectangular foam ones. You can stow them more easily and they stay put do not roll and let the transom hit the dock.

Phil

mattyboy
07-05-2005, 06:49 PM
we don't need no stinkin bumpers especially big round white ones ;)

seriously it depends on the type of docks i have 4 g4 bumpers that are perfect for the docks on my lake low floating docks but when in lk george or thousand island they are too small as the docks are higher there,

some thoughts are

throwable pfd's with straps that can slide over the uprights of the docks

2 larger g6's or 8's tied with a dock line thru them that can rest in the water tied to the dock keeping the boat away from the dock

Dr. Dan
07-05-2005, 06:59 PM
:spongebob I just got a set of these to try this year....they are great for Random Size Pilings....and even to hang off of your boat for Rafting Up, you can add Air and I attached some Braided Nylon Line(6' Black Double Braided) to each end.

www.thepiercushion.com

Used one this weekend rafting up to Brad & Amy's 18 down on Lake Anna... they worked great....also used it last weekend at a Restaurant that has Piers the Size For Tug Boats...and it worked well...very happy with them...they store reasonably well too. Problem is in these little Classics(and I am suppossed to have a Bigger one) I have sooooo much Stuff to carry...there never seems to be enough room.

I keep 2 10" Taylor Fenders for Rafting and Nasty SeaWalls, and 2 8" Taylors for normal stuff. So now I have like 6 devices for keeping the Evil away! :beer:

Doc of Anal Retentive Damage Control :biggrin.:

DonziDave
07-05-2005, 07:26 PM
For my 18 Classic, I have a couple of 8" dia. bumpers that have an "L" bend at the top and tie to the deck rail. They are made for ski boats that have a low freeboard like our boats. I think they are available from Overton's. They do a great job of protecting the sides and from keeping the deck from getting bashed if it catches under the edge of a dock.

Dave

David Ochs
07-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Ditto what Dave is using. You can also find fasteners that will clip on the grab rail, they work just great.

Lenny
07-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Ditto again, same as DonziDave said. :) They are called low freeboard fenders. (A bass boat thing)

CHACHI
07-06-2005, 06:39 AM
I also use low freeboard fenders, bass boat type . Their made by Taylor. They are held to the hull with suction cups. I have use them this way for 3 years no problems. Ken

dr
07-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the help and information. I have a couple of different ones I’m going to try this weekend.

David

Sam
07-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Tempo makes flat fenders that work great and store almost anywhere, I use them for the Donzi and the Key West.

Sam