PDA

View Full Version : Txp Trial

John W
07-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Well the prop finally showed up saturday, Yeah!!!! Put it on the boat today, 7/4/05. Out of the box the prop looked used or was a prototype. At the ;ong slow cruise out of Annapolis Harbor, nothing special!!! Finaly crossed the 6 kts bouy, floored the boat, 5000 wot and 8 kts. I spun the damn hub, good thing I had the stand by Mirage. This prop has been plagued since I bought it, 3 weeks getting it, looks like I made it, and then spun the hub. I am sending it back tomorrow and try to get another , with no vent holes and in primo shape. If the next one fails misearbly, then on to hydromotive.
I had such good luck with the Turbo I bought for my 16, this one sucked ass right out of the box. However I will give them another chance. if the next one sucks, then shame on them and I guess they do not sell props for the 22 with the 496 HO.
Boat gooes in gffor some warranty work wensday so i do not see any chance for running her with the new whell till late july. Anybody else want to try ?
TXP 26 with no vent holes, is what Chris said to try.
JW ,

Happy B=Day America
Boat soda'd out .

Pismo
07-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Very interesting, this was supposed to be the new big thing................

John W
07-06-2005, 10:13 AM
The old TXP is on the way back to Turbo, and a New on is on the way to me.
I guess I'll try it out again.
Will post tresults when the boat gets out of the shop.
JW

Pismo
07-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Wasn't the TXP originally designed for bass boats, maybe it just is not setup to handle the power of a big block and a 3500lb boat.

John W
07-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Wasn't the TXP originally designed for bass boats, maybe it just is not setup to handle the power of a big block and a 3500lb boat.

Not sure, if the next one dosen't work out then off to Hydromotive.
JW

roadtrip se
07-06-2005, 04:15 PM
enough to buy one in a 28 pitch, sitting in a box, and ready to go for 1000 Islands.

Great mid-range, more bite at all speeds, and I am hoping for a top end similar to my labbed Mirage 29 without all of the excitement and suspense.
The 27 was almost there, just a little short on pitch.

As for the spun hub issue, the 28 I have is set up with the square hub, so I can use my Mercury XR adaptor in it. Rubber hubs DO belong on bass boats, but not big block bravo boats. In my opinion, calling the prop junk without having it set up properly for your boat might be a bit premature.

I also have the vent holes plugged and finished, where you can't tell they were ever there. I blew the plugs out of the 27, after a hard run to Lee's Ford and back, about 100 miles.

I'll report in here, after I have a chance to run this thing at 1000 Islands in ten days or so.

I also own two Hydro Q4s and they are great props for a 22, just not as fast.

Test, test, and then repeat...

RT

blackhawk
07-07-2005, 12:35 PM
If you guys have thru-hull exhaust why are you concerned with the vent holes?

boldts
07-07-2005, 12:48 PM
I thought vent holes in a prop were to introduce air or bubbles into the water hitting the prop blades. This allows the engine to spin up faster and improve out of the hole performance. Kind of a slip factor added to the prop until it is up to speed.

Donzi 22s with big power I would guess don't really need this and we're not bass fishermen with that got to get to my fishin hole attitude.

Blackhawk - why would the exhaust type have anything to do with how a prop performs? If it exits thru the prop, it ejected after the prop. Thru hull never even touches the water near the prop. Just curious as I'm always trying to learn new things.

gold-n-rod
07-07-2005, 07:18 PM
I thought vent holes in a prop were to introduce air or bubbles into the water hitting the prop blades. This allows the engine to spin up faster and improve out of the hole performance. Kind of a slip factor added to the prop until it is up to speed.

Blackhawk - why would the exhaust type have anything to do with how a prop performs? If it exits thru the prop, it ejected after the prop. Thru hull never even touches the water near the prop. Just curious as I'm always trying to learn new things.

I was told that vent holes break up the exhaust gasses as they exit the hub, effectively keeping them from "clinging" to the prop blades and creating cavitation. Not running your exhaust through the prop..... no need for vent holes.

If I've been told wrong, feel free to set me straight.

MOP
07-07-2005, 09:35 PM
On boats with through prop exhaust the vent holes do wonders for out of the hole acceleration with -0- change in top speed, when Johnson sent out the first tech bulletins we had to drill the holes. The first boat we tried it on was a 25 Grady with twin 200's, the time to plane from dead idle went from 20+ seconds to 13 seconds. We had a Baja with a 150 Merc that was used for skiing the owner said it was super easy to get a slalom up compared to what it was before the holes. We did tests on I/O's with similar results, all the owner were more than pleased. I think there may be some benefit on through hull as air should still be drawn onto the blades allowing for some initial slip.

Phil

blackhawk
07-07-2005, 11:07 PM
boldts, like gold-n-rod said, the vent holes are there to "vent" the exhaust gasses on boats with thru-hub exhaust. They don't do anything for boats with through hull exhaust.

boldts
07-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Lesson learned. Thanks guys! I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not sking behind Roadtrip at 80mph. :biggrin:

Back to the original topic. Tell us how your TXP is performing on your 22 Classic. Anyone tried one on a 18 or 16? How about other Donzi models?

RickSE
07-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Why not? I ski behind mine. It's fun skiing behind something with that much power.