PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Coating vs. Replacement

DonziDave
07-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Have any of you tried coating the inside of of your tank instead of replacement?
My 18 Classic is 19 years old and I have been been clogging up fuel filters about every 4-5 hours of running. When I dump the gas out of the filter into a glass bowl, I see red flakes that dissolve when you rub them in your fingers. However, there is no hard material. I even pumped the tank dry but did not get any trash......???? I guess I can assume this is rust from the tank. The only thing between the tank and the filter is the AeroQuip fuel hose. What color is the lining inside the hose....red or other?

To the point....If it is the tank, I really don't want to tackle a deck removal to replace the tank without exploring other options. I have been looking into tank cleaners and coatings. Most are applied by pouring the coating in a removed tank so that you can rotate it to coat all sides. Then you dump out the excess. However, I have found some industrial tank coatings made to be spray applied in place. Enough of the rear of the tank is exposed to cut an access for spraying. I could then seal the access with a cover similar to the plate used on fuel cells.
I figure if it doesn't work, I can still replace the tank.
Opinions - Experiance..??

Sorry for the long post....Dave

gcarter
07-04-2005, 09:58 PM
Changing the tank is easy. The idea is much more ominous than the actual fact. Also the tanks are relatively inexpensive.
You can do it all in one day if that's what you need to do, although it's a good time to do other things.

Donzigo
07-05-2005, 06:55 AM
George,

WE KNOW that fuel tanks older than 10 years, usually means, new tank, don't we; and, there's no short cut, either.

"You pays your money and you takes your ride"

glashole
07-05-2005, 07:17 AM
in my experience it is always a good idea to do it right the first time

if you don;t you will always worry about it.

mattyboy
07-05-2005, 08:36 AM
don't cut anything, replace the tank and the fuel line, you'll be happier in the end

Kirk
07-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Time to break out the easter egg photos again...I need a good laugh.

Hope you are well,

KJ

Tony
07-05-2005, 08:31 PM
gcarter,

One day??? Man, I wish I lived near you last summer! Even without doing a lot of other stuff while the deck was off I had WAY more time in my tank replacement than one day. But then again, I am somewhat novice at most of this stuff.

mphatc
07-05-2005, 08:40 PM
tank replacement, there is no other way! Sorry, but the red flakes are piled high in your existing tank, likely approximately 1 gallons worth atleast.

They are the result of your original tinned tank corroding internally, and sealing a tank internally can ONLY be done with a cleaned dry tank, and you MUST cover 100% of the internal surface, not 99%! BTDT on many a old car restoration. Will never try it again. The failure rate and those results suck!!!

Mario L.

gcarter
07-05-2005, 08:48 PM
gcarter,

One day??? Man, I wish I lived near you last summer! Even without doing a lot of other stuff while the deck was off I had WAY more time in my tank replacement than one day. But then again, I am somewhat novice at most of this stuff.
Tony, you would have to have EVERYTHING ready.
I got my deck off in about 45 minutes. The tank came out in another 30 minutes. It took about 30 minutes to clean out the hole.
Positioning the tank was about an hour job. You could already have the new tank masked. Foaming took about two hours for it to set completely.
You see where I'm going.
Actually, this was my first time, but I had the very valuable threads to follow, like yours.
Actually, I had the deck off about three months, but that;s another story.

jstokes8407
07-11-2005, 07:07 PM
I think I'm in the same boat as you. My 86 classic has been sucking up some stuff from inside the tank and clogging the check valve. It get a few hours of run time and restriction again. I think I'm gona have 2 replace the tank :( :bawling:

Kirbyvv
07-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Can anyone direct us to a good thread on deck removal and tank replacment?

gcarter
07-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Yes I can!
I thought you would never ask!
Try;
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36703&page=1&pp=15

I also did one on RDS tanks called "Tank You Very Much" but I don't have it book marked on this computer.

gcarter
07-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Tony an Penbroke have threads too. They taught me what I knew at the beginning.
There's another thread on four pound foam. I can post the foam thread and the RDS thread when I get back to my laptop.