PDA

View Full Version : Charleston, SC

Cuda
07-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Debbie, her daughter and I, drove up to Charleston SC, to break the new truck in. I used to live there in about the first grade, and again in the fourth and fifth grade. We drove around the city, for a while, then headed up a little north to Lake Moultrie. There was a military recreation area there we used to go to all the time called "Short Stay". I didn't really expect it to still be there since they closed the big Navy base in Charleston, but it was still there. To this day, if I smell the combination of Coppertone sun tan lotion and charcoal burning, it reminds me of this place. Amazing the memories the sense of smell can bring back. :)

Cuda
07-04-2005, 12:20 PM
We couldn't go in there, since I'm not military. Luckily, they just built a new park right next to it.

Cuda
07-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Saw this Zx in the tailrace below the dam.

Cuda
07-04-2005, 12:26 PM
We drove from there to Lake Marion. They were catching the most ungodly mess of catfish I've ever seen. All big ones too. There were four garbage cans full of big carcasses! They had numerous pictures of 40 to 70 pound catfish in the store. I'm going to hook my fishboat up in the near future, and go have a whack at these big boys! It's only about a 5.5 hour trip for me.

Cuda
07-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Some other misc pics from the trip.

marcdups
07-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Guess by the pic of the bridges that the new one is not yet open??, love that city though :yes: :yes:

Cuda
07-04-2005, 02:21 PM
No, but it looks like it shouldn't be long.

It is the world's scariest bridge. I can't believe they are still using this bridge. My mom hated this bridge with a passion. When I was in the first grade, she had to drive dad to the Navy base every morning over this bridge, then come back to get us kids off to school. At least the traffic is only in one direction on it now days, before it was two way. It was so narrow, I got in the middle of the lanes and wouldn't let the car behind me get up beside me.

marcdups
07-04-2005, 02:48 PM
I normally do that too on those rattle boxes, although I did get a ticket my first time over them in 93 for obstructing traffic, told the ossifer that it was my first time and just was petrified, so I just got a sitation, still scary today though, I don't care if you are coming or going !!!, That new bridge is " supposed " to last a hundred years, so I should be safe and every else in our generation, LOL

Cuda
07-04-2005, 03:16 PM
They would just have to give me a ticket every time I crossed that bridge. We went back over to the beach again, but we took the I526 bridge back over. :)

zzrhino
07-08-2005, 09:13 AM
cuda nice post and pics i spend alot of time myself there what a jewel of a city.I just finished a large project there dockside condo the tower next to the aquarium.next time your that close give a email myrtle beach is right down the road. ZZrhino :boat: :outtahere

Cuda
07-08-2005, 07:57 PM
I plan on going back sometime this summer to Lake Marion. I've got to get into some of that fabulous catfishing! Mmmm, catfish and cheese grits will make me hurt myself!:)

captainsae
07-24-2005, 07:34 PM
The new bridge is now open as of a few days ago! The kicked off the opening with a cool fireworks show. I wasn't out in my boat because I was putting on a party for the fireworks right in front of the bridge. There were probably a thousand boats in the water when they went off! It would have been a great time by boat.

Cuda
07-24-2005, 07:39 PM
I'd rather come to the party when they tear down that old bridge! I still have nightmares about crossing it when I was in the first grade. :frown:

captainsae
07-24-2005, 08:07 PM
I heard that they are going to sink the old bridge to make an artificial reef. It is offered for free to anyone who will take it. So you can either have it as your very own or you can dive on it in the future! no more driving over it though.

gold-n-rod
07-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Mmmm, catfish and cheese grits will make me hurt myself!:)

Yessir, you'll hurt yourself hurling. God, that sounds putrid.

Make mine salmon and red skin baby taters...... both baked, of course!!!!

Cuda
07-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Yessir, you'll hurt yourself hurling. God, that sounds putrid.

Make mine salmon and red skin baby taters...... both baked, of course!!!!
Spoken like a true yankee! :)

You haven't lived until you've had catfish, cheesegrits, with sweet tea. :)