PDA

View Full Version : Holly 650 question

Donzigo
07-04-2005, 11:44 AM
One the way back from Shell Island, yesterday, I was racing a kid on his jet-ski for 1,000 yards or so. (Yeah, he beat me in the smooth water....rats.) Ok, so I was WFO during that time. When I powered down to idle through the bay Way bridge, Big-D's starboard engine died. It restarted easy enough; but, is starved for fuel. No problem, we idled home. I'm headed down to the lift this morning to first remove the separator, then if that's OK, the Holly 650. Then, tomorrow, it goes to the carb shop for a re-build.

Here's the question. Both carbs were rebuilt 2 years ago. No problems for the past two years. Should I remove and rebuild both carbs, just to be sure; or, does one have anything to do with the other? I figured the age of both carbs is 2 years sicne rebuild, might be a pre-curser to furture problems on the Port.

Thanks for your opinions ................. I'm lost when it comes to carbs. I'm itching to do the rebuild myself; but, all my motor-head pals tell me: "Forget it". WHY is it so hard to rebuid them yourself?

Cuda
07-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Imho, a Holley is the easiest of all carbs to rebuild. If you can put a model plane together, you can rebuild a carb.

BUIZILLA
07-04-2005, 12:16 PM
I don't think you have a carb problem at all. Me thinks it's vapor lock, fuel restriction, or weak fuel pump. A 650 on a big block is VERY small... those things need a minimum of a 750.

Jim

penbroke
07-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Go to Holley.com and download the rebuild instructions for your carbs. Look them over to see what you will be getting in to. Lots of little parts but no great mysteries.

It's easy! I did mine (with encouragement from 'Poodle) with great results. The only carbs I had done before that were from lawn mowers and the like. After seeing the results of your projects I don't think you will have any problem.

Good luck,
Frank

Cuda
07-04-2005, 12:30 PM
I agree with Jim too. I doubt it is a carb problem, more likely a fuel delivery problem of some sort.

Donzigo
07-05-2005, 06:52 AM
Thanks to all for the responses.

Buizulla & Cuda, you were tight. I took off the Holly (and it's a Holly 600 CFM)
and started to look for a kit. Then, I thought, Gee, why not switch them to the other engine, just to be sure. Yup, it's not a carb problem. The starboard engine still has the problem.

Yeah, I think the Holly 600 is pretty small for the 454; but, it runs just fine................ 60 MPH just like it's supposed to, from the factory in 1989.

Ok, now, I figure it's a Hobbs oil pressure switch (had the same symptoms once before and it was this switch) or a fuel pump. I have electrical fuel pumps. I'm going to switch them from one engine to the other. After that, I'm lost. The thing trys to start. IMO, starved for fuel.

Separator was clean as a whistle.

Stay tuned.

Richard
727-867-7020

Donzigo
07-05-2005, 08:16 PM
........the end of the story.......it turned out to be the little sensor in the distributor.

Mystery solved.

Cuda
07-05-2005, 08:41 PM
How did you figure it out?