PDA

View Full Version : floating trailers??

BUIZILLA
07-03-2005, 09:53 PM
don't laugh, i'm dead serious... :eek!:

my tri axle 6 tire trailer basically floats, without the boat on it of course...

when I launched the boat, the trailer floated up almost to the surface in the slip, and started turning sideways with the wind current.

makes retrieving the boat a REAL pain in the a$$, takes 3 people minimum to get it back on the trailer. One person has to hold the upright guide about 2 ft from the dock, to keep it from turning sideways.... And I have to jump out of the boat with the engines in gear, move the truck up about 2 feet, once it hits the front V guide, attach the strap, jump back in the boat, gun the throttle against the bow stop, have wifey winch it tight, then shut off engines.

long story short, has anybody bolted lead weights to their trailer frame??? i'ma thinkin' I need about 200#, 100# each side at the middle axle inner frame area...

suggestions appreciated.

JH

ChromeGorilla
07-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Jim, I have seen someone weight their to prevent it from floating. Your right it can be a biotch if the current takes the trailer to the side. But yes, i have seen it. Guy stores a big ass Yellowfin with a triple axle right next to me. He uses weights for his triple axle...

olredalert
07-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Jim,

-----I had that problem with the first aluminum trailer I got for the 24. Threaded rod thru bolted to the frame in an upright position and a couple of dumbell weights when I needed them sufficed just fine!!!! That way I didnt have the weight on there all the time, only when needed. I never even had a nut on the topside of the weights, but you could if you wanted..........Bill S

-----Also, if you let the air out of the tires it will no longer float!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cuda
07-04-2005, 01:03 AM
Every aluminum trailer I've owned from the 18 up to the 30 floated. I've seen quite a few of them with weights bolted to the frame. I doubt it needs that much weight, it's probably just barely bouyant, which is all it takes.

gcarter
07-04-2005, 01:54 AM
Catch's trailer floated after Gina bought him some aluminum wheels. When he added some brakes, it quit.

MOP
07-04-2005, 09:54 AM
I have been tempted to add a little weight or add brakes to the second axel, mine floats and a friends with two axle brakes does'nt. The brake packages I would guess only add about 75lbs so like mentioned above they don't need much.

Phil

Donzigo
07-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Yup, every aluminum one I've owned has floated. The barbell idea sounds pretty cool. I filled a 4 ft long PVC pipe 4" thick with concrete. When needed I put it on the trailer and it gently goes down. As MOP and others related, it doesn't take much to make it go under. And, it's a royal pain, when it floats, even with my Z-33.

Richard