PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Penta IPS

onesubdrvr
07-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Someone bought this up once before, but, now it's here

How about a pair of these in a 28ZXO? There was one recently on Boat Trader theft recovery, no engines or drives,...hmmmmmm:rolleyes: :idea:

http://www.volvo.com/NR/rdonlyres/CC957B3B-D2B5-4567-95FD-7263F8CD89F9/0/IPS_400500.pdf

Wayne

Just Say N20
07-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Me thinks thou wast joking....

I work at Tiara, and we designed a new 40 footer from the ground up specifically for that propulsion system. Four Winns, Cranchi, and one other builder took an existing inboard boat, and retrofitted it with IPS. As such, it doesn't really show case the potential, because balance points aren't optimal. The engines are located about 8 feet further aft than a traditional inboard, so fuel and water tanks were moved way forward to offest this.

It is an interesting system, for boats in the 40ish to 50ish foot length, and they claim a top speed of no more than 45.

The larger of the two engines is 370 hp, and they sell it as a 500 because they believe it gives the same performance as a 500 hp inboard shaft drive boat.

The drives turn, don't trim, and make for extremely quite running without the 55 gallon drum size mufflers usually found in diesel powered boats. The exhaust exits underwater, and greatly reduces/minimizes the station wagon effect as the gasses rise out of the water farther back. And with the high pressure common rail fuel system, they burn very clean.

onesubdrvr
07-05-2005, 06:28 AM
Me thinks thou wast joking....

See, that's what happens when you don't read the whole thing!!:wink:

Anyway, seems like a nice package for the right application

Wayne

Speed-Racer
07-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Yea, until you hit something and rip the whole lower gear case off(even though it's designed to be torn off)....hmm there goes $$$$$$ :embarasse